So, tell me about this tenting lark then

The place for everything else!
mzplcg
Forum Contributor
Car Details: BMW 540ix MSport

Post by mzplcg » Fri May 06, 2016 6:51 pm

Seems my lad likes the idea of this, much against my better judgement. One positive thing is that SWMBO will definitely not be going so peace & quiet can be had.

Thing is I have no idea what I need, where we can camp (not sites) and so on. I have the Rangie but I do know I can't just take it where I fancy and sling out one of those pop up tents. Nor do I know what I would need kit wise. Stove, hmmm, what else?

Gimme some pointers please chaps.

Club FFRR

Basic Machine Polishing guide here
http://www.disco3club.co.uk/gallery/alb ... _Guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DSL
Forum Contributor
Car Details: The old muddy banger

Re: So, tell me about this tenting lark then

Post by DSL » Fri May 06, 2016 7:00 pm

Great for camping in the arse end of nowhere. Literally.

T'other side's Ice Fest 2106

Batterie Dietl, NE Norway

S of Tana Bru, N Norway

Sjatsfallet NP, N Sweden

Got 3 weeks planned living out of it in Scando Roadtrip 2016 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If only I could think of something useful to type here!! :(

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Post by anglefire » Fri May 06, 2016 7:09 pm

As I understand it, you can't just camp anywhere in England/Wales - though some areas are known to be ok - Not sure about Scotland, but I think you can essentially go anywhere - but you can't go off road in the car without permission of the landowner.

As for kit. I'm not the best person to ask as I go in a popup and cheap stove. JFLux will be able to give you some advice for really expensive kit :shark:

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

mzplcg
Forum Contributor
Car Details: BMW 540ix MSport

Post by mzplcg » Fri May 06, 2016 7:39 pm

Wasn't planning on spending a King's Ransom Mark :lol:

Pop up sounds better than hours banging in pegs. I hate the caravan awning for this exact reason. Need summat to make a brew which I suspect means some kind of fridge for the milk. Now excuse me if I sound dopey but how do I manage for a wash & shave in the morning? Don't do stubble or beards, too itchy. Got to be able to wash & shave, oh and sling on some clean gruffs. And without wanting to lapse into the vernacular, where does one take a dump?

Really it's just for a bit of fun for my lad hence why I don't want to spend a fortune.

Club FFRR

Basic Machine Polishing guide here
http://www.disco3club.co.uk/gallery/alb ... _Guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DSL
Forum Contributor

Post by DSL » Fri May 06, 2016 7:50 pm

Red dump, these are useful:

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Post by anglefire » Fri May 06, 2016 9:52 pm

Kettle and hot water for a wash. Electric for a shave, though I don't bother when I go to the Pyrenees.

Not that I've wild camped, so I shower :lol:

Quencha for pop ups. I've got this one http://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-xl ... 47892.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but you would probably get away with the 2 man :thumbright:

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Post by Stu » Sat May 07, 2016 7:48 am

Scotland you can wild camp anywhere, the rest of the U.K. not although above the tree line in national parks is generally accepted. Some places do have designated wild sites (New Forest do).

As for kit, it's tricky, as with all things the more you spend the better the kit and consequently the more comfortable / easier your life gets. However you can go cheapish in some areas:

Pop up tents - I think they are fab for a one night wonder. Get Quecher from Decathlon. They basically invented them and still produce good ones for good money. If you need to sleep 2 then go for a 3 man etc. You always need more room for bags etc

Stove - depends what you want to cook. However the cheap "suitcase" stoves do a job. All I'd say is think about wind protection around any stove. Any of the self sealing gas cartridge type stoves will probably be fine as well.

Roll Matt - now this is an area where it's worth spending a little more as you want to be comfortable and warm. Alp kit would be my advice. Good matts and incredibly good value for money.

Sleeping bag - this is the one thing I'd say you don't want to scrimp on. If you are cold at night you'll be cold for hours and even more miserable than you already are :-)

You can go for a synthetic bag as it doesn't sound like you'll be carrying it anywhere. Go to a proper outdoor shop and look at them. Don't go to the likes of Go outdoors and by a hi gear one that "claims" -20c warmth and is as thick as tinfoil. Basically sleeping bags keep you warm by trapping air so you want one that lofts well. I'd say look for a 3 season bag. Good makes are Mountain Equipment, Rab - again Alp kit do some good bags that aren't cheap but are really good value.

Oh and get a head torch. My preference is for a Petzl. Don't be sucked into hi outputs, you want to illuminate and 12ft in front of you without blinding yourself off of every reflection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"

JF Lux
Forum Contributor
Winner: Rear of The Year 2011 & 13
Winner of the Chairman's Award 2014
Car Details: D5 Si6 HSE & D3 HSE

Post by JF Lux » Sat May 07, 2016 9:57 am

I was going to say basically the same as Stu.

For a first time, try and borrow as much kit as possible - no loss if you don't like the experience.

Maybe think of a sleep again liner along with the sleeping bag. Adds a few degrees of warmth, keeps the sleep bag cleaner, and means you can get a slightly cheaper bag (which on its own might not be quite as warm).

Look at a double cooker - it's not as easy as you might think to cook a meal for two on a single burner.

As Stu says - always go up one size for the tent. If you find one that looks more than big enough...get the next size up :lol: And with some type of porch for bits, bags and muddy shoes.

Nearly done...Don't start with a wild camp. It's not legal in the UK without landowner's permission but you could if you are well off the beaten track, well out of view and with minimal kit. Basically somewhere you have spent the day walking to. And it's a "stop, sleep, move". But wild camping is different to camping on a site. Just try and find a camp site that is smaller, quieter, little bit out of the way. Some sort of camp area attached to a hostel, pub or similar in the countryside (sort of place backpackers use).

And finally...whether you buy or borrow - practice with the equipment and packing...and then try it again!

Member of Club ex-ex-D3...
Member of Club ex-D4
Member of Club D8 (well it is a 5 for the road and a 3 for off)
Member of club Much Brightness...
Member of a club...in another country. Why ? my wife asks...
Member of Club "I don't want to hear about caravans..."
Winner of Club Rear of the Year 2011

countrywide

Post by countrywide » Sat May 07, 2016 10:29 am

Make sure you are near a Travel Lodge just in case :thumbright:

DSL
Forum Contributor

Post by DSL » Sat May 07, 2016 10:46 am

Or kip in the car if it's too wild outside. Well one of you anyway. The rest can just get wet & cold. :whistle: :whistle: