Caravan design and build

The place for everything else!
Bigcarpchaser
Club Supporter
Car Details: BMW 320CC Msport +

Caravan design and build

Post by Bigcarpchaser » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:39 am

Is rubbish.
Simple thing, but how the hell is a jockey wheel designed to it can come unscrewed in transit?
Ours decide to on the way back from France...luckily it only destroyed the wheel and not the whole A frame but after a big of net research it seems it's quite common!!!
Are the vans with the new stabilisers easier to tow than mine? Flipping thing is massive but still gets buffeted around even by a small car whizzing by, quite unnerving.
Anyway, ours is jinxed, I destroyed my D3, the plastic trim is falling off the cupboard doors, the shower dour broke, one of the gas rings doesn't light (despite being "fixed"), warranty work takes 3 months to get "approved". The general build quality is appalling...and the bed is :censored:.
Was I'm afraid to say, easier and less hassle with a tent. The only thing I find better is having your own loo and shower. Apart from that, can't see any real advantage.
Am flogging ours in the spring and going to Florida with the money lololol

http://www.gnvehicleprotection.co.uk
Rock Sliders, Sump Guards, Rear Access Ladders, Exhaust Bungs all for the Discovery 3

clement
Forum Contributor
Car Details: Discovery

Re: Caravan design and build

Post by clement » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:44 am

I find myself agreeing with you on quite a few points :evil:
We got rid of ours beginning of the year, inlaws brought a new 6berth twin axle, very nice plus we get to use it when ever we want. :mrgreen:
Sorry to hear of your woes. :headbang:

Clem - Thinks he has the best job in the world - piloting Gift Island's robotic doughnut rings and listening to Hip Hop music in the cockpit all day

Discovery 2
Club Cadac

CDS
Secretary
Car Details: Tangerine Machine

Caravan design and build

Post by CDS » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:45 am

Had the same problem with the jockey 'leg' on a trailer, noticed fairly quickly as I had the drivers window open and it was only low speed, boy did it leave a big groove in the tarmac :lol:
The tintents with Alko stabilisers are easier to tow and it stops the swaying a lot. I found in France I was getting sucked in more than the uk, once we got back to the uk I realised I was correcting the away ever so slightly without really thinking, it seems I was doing the same in France, but because of driving on the right, my auto reflex was actually making it worse...... now I've figured that out I won't make the same mistake next time :oops:
Also makes a big difference in ours if there is anything of any significant weight in the high level cupboards, ie centre of gravity is too high
Enjoy Florida!!

Imagine a world with no hypothetical situations..........

Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Post by Stu » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:53 am

We are off to Florida in a couple of weeks.

Big 6 bedroom villa with 30ft x 15ft pool. 6 man hot tub, games room with pool table, table football, pingpong and PS3 etc.

£890 for 2 weeks (including pool heating)
Then a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas and Disney's own island £1500 for 5 of us.

Flights, car hire and park tickets aren't cheap at £4,500 but I've booked them all through BA and should have enough Avios points for a return trip to New York for me and Mrs Stu

Now would I swap that for a caravan? let me think about that.....

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"

countrywide

Post by countrywide » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:55 am

I bought a boat a few years ago, when the guy arrived to deliver it from dealers the entire jockey wheel was missing.

He said it was somewhere between Somerset and Hampshire. Quite a big bit of metal to leave on the motorway :shock:

spiderbaby
Forum Contributor
Car Details: D3 SE TDV6 05MY

Post by spiderbaby » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:04 am

Gaz - you're seeing sense at last!

I told you not to get one years ago - up to when I met you over Glossop way buying it. :lol:

Drink, arse, girls, feck!

Bigcarpchaser
Club Supporter

Post by Bigcarpchaser » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:19 am

Lol Stu, that's half a decent van blown in two weeks so you can see the attraction :)
We have had Sind nice trips away but I'm sure a nice Gite would have been just as good.
Ken...yer, I was warned!!!
Maybe I might think differently if I had a 9m twin axle £30k Defleffs thing that pulled up on site yesterday, now that was a piece of kit!!!

Rock Sliders, Sump Guards, Rear Access Ladders, Exhaust Bungs all for the Discovery 3

Neild
Forum Contributor
Winner: Comedian of the Year 2012
Funniest Thread of the Year 2012
Car Details: Wife's D4

Post by Neild » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:50 pm

Think it's down to the brand. Our Lunar wasn't cheap but it was perfect in every way quality wise. Jump a brand :whistle:

There's no "i" in team but there are 5 in individual brilliance...

xtc
Forum Contributor
Car Details: D4

Post by xtc » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:10 pm

I have to say, whilst sitting here in London watching 24000 cyclists going by, that I would rather be in my Caravan!

Off Roading is OK.... But I'd rather be Boating!

Bigcarpchaser
Club Supporter

Post by Bigcarpchaser » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:46 pm

Neild wrote:Think it's down to the brand. Our Lunar wasn't cheap but it was perfect in every way quality wise. Jump a brand :whistle:
They all use the same basic stuff underneath mate, it's just the fixtures and fittings are different, plus how it's screwed together/looked after :)
Seen some proper duff lunars!!
Wouldn't buy another Stirling that's for sure.