2.7 TDV6 Black Smoke Underpowered MAF MAP

Calls for help, Problems, Breakdowns, Mechanical & Electrical
dhcom
Forum Contributor

2.7 TDV6 Black Smoke Underpowered MAF MAP

Post by dhcom » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:10 pm

Hello,

As a new-comer, apologies in advance if I'm posting in the wrong category or have overlooked existing answers to this common occurrence.

L319 2008 Discovery 3 SE 2.7 TDV6 115k, RHD, manual, average service history.

I see a cloud of blackish smoke on acceleration.1st and 2nd seem quite sluggish, lots of torque 3rd-5th on the flat, cruises well in 6th but on hills I'm shifting through the box (manual) and feel the power is down (although I've nothing to compare it to). There is a slight whistling, appearing to originate from the driver's side behind the console present on acceleration, especially in 3rd gear, and also sometimes when coming off the gas. Possibly unrelated but just in case - the cabin smells quite strongly of exhaust fumes (from air circulation vents) - FBH is inoperative [something for another day - U0073-08 (2E), B1D34-68 (2F), U0164-87 (2E), U1A44-6C (2E), U3000-55 (2E].

I cleaned the MAF sensor, replaced the air filter and blanked the EGR (also removed butterfly valve)... the latter at -12C in a foot of snow on the driveway. The (large) intercooler hose appears okay with no obvious splits or holes. Under harder acceleration, I get an Engine System Fault message (clears on cycling the ignition, but comes back again) but no EMS light or limp mode.

The following faults were visible (and a bunch of others due to unrelated systems):
P023D-22 (68) Manifold absolute pressure - turbocharger/supercharger boost sensor A correlation - General signal failure - signal amplitude>maximum
P0101-17 (68) Mass or volume air flow - circuit range/performance - General electrical failure - circuit voltage above threshold

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you

Dom

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Re: 2.7 TDV6 Black Smoke Underpowered MAF MAP

Post by anglefire » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:19 pm

Bodsy - Ian Bodsworth the Chairman is one person that would probably have a good idea.

EGR's are the obvious thing, but you've blanked them - however, the 08 might also need the ECU recoded to remove it from the mapping - Bodsy can help with that too.

Cabin smelling of exhaust is not good- has the gearbox been out recently as that could be the crossover pipe cracked and its a bitch to refit if the box has come out underneath.

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

dhcom
Forum Contributor

Post by dhcom » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:36 pm

Thanks for the steer. The gearbox hasn’t been out but the crossover might be something to look into. I’ll not have a chance to do any investigation over the next couple of weeks but will update the thread if there are any developments.

BigJC
Forum Contributor
Car Details: ‘08 D3 G4

Post by BigJC » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:44 pm

Did this ever get resolved?

dhcom
Forum Contributor

Post by dhcom » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:11 pm

Yes and no... The problem was found to be the crossover pipe, which had split. The "repair" is still pending, however.
Cheers!