TROUBLE CODES HELPPPPPP! LR3 V6 Petrol Auto 2007

Calls for help, Problems, Breakdowns, Mechanical & Electrical
SunKistFrogy
Forum Contributor
Car Details: 2007 LR3

TROUBLE CODES HELPPPPPP! LR3 V6 Petrol Auto 2007

Post by SunKistFrogy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:54 am

Hi Everyone

I'm new to the forum, Just brought a Wonderful LR3 2007 V6 Petrol Auto - "Kitty"
When I brought her (as is) she had a known problem, a Clunk on acceleration and again on stopping.
This was to do with her Back Tail-shaft. We replaced the Tail-shaft, Right Axel and Rear Diff.
Having fixed the Clunk; All should be well, BUT, the previous own failed to share her intermittent (yet constant) Engine symbol and Limp Mode Function, LOL

Can You HELP?
What happens..... we clear the codes.
Start the car, nothing on dash, but it registers codes, without clearing codes you turn off the car and start it again, on the second or third start it will go into limp mode. A soft reset, (key turn from position 0-2 x5 times than full turn to start) will take her out of limp mode but Engine light remains on.

We have two different OBD tools, a FireFox and Nancon Evo, both receive the same codes.
An example of such codes:
ATCM-
U0402-94/T; Invalid data received from Transmission Control Module, Component failure- unexpected operation/Temporary
U0416-94/T; Invalid data received from Vehicle Dynamics Control Module, Component failure- unexpected operation/Temporary
IPC-
U0010-88/T; Medium Speed CAN communications Bus, Bus signal/message failure- bus is off/Temporary
PBM-
U0100-87/Int; Lost Communication Engine Control Module/Powertrain Control Module 'A', Bus signal/message failure- missing a message/Intermittent
U0101-87/Int; Lost Communication with Transmission Control Module, Bus signal/message failure- missing a message/Intermittent
PCM-
P0335-92/T; Crankshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit; Component failure- performance or incorrect operation/Temporary
RLM-
U0416-86/T; Invalid data received from Transmission Control Module/Powertrain Control Module;Bus signal message failure- message is invalid/Temporary
U0401-86/T; Invalid data received from Engine Control module/Powertrain Control Module; Bus signal message failure- message is invalid/Temporary
TCM-
U2023-88/T; Fault Received from External Node- Bus signal/message failure- signal is invalid/Temporary
U0401-86/T; 'As Above'
VDM-
U0401-68/Hist; Invalid data received from Engine Control Module/Powertrain Control Module- Algorithm based failure-event information/Historic

Other random codes we have received - not always present....
C1A00-88/T; Control Module, Bus signal/message failure- Bus is off/Temp
B1021-13/P; Source Switch- General Electrical Failure- Circuit open/Perminant
B1A87-68/T; battery disconnection/Electronic Control module Unit Reset- Algorithm based failure- event information/Temporary

What we have done so far......
It has a New Alternator
New Battery
New Brake Switch
Cleaned all the Earths and Positives
Checked all large fuses and changed all the two pin Fuses At Battery and behind Glove Box

Not sure where to go from here.
Kitty Runs Purrfectly, regardless of the Naughty Persistent Orange Engine Light beaming from her dash, until the second or third start and into Limp Mode we Go... clear the codes and start again, literally and metaphorically.....

ANY SUGGESTIONS GUYS? REALLY BAFFLED NEED HELP.....

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Re: TROUBLE CODES HELPPPPPP! LR3 V6 Petrol Auto 2007

Post by anglefire » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:27 am

@Bodsy is probably the most knowledgeable regarding the ECU side of things - though not the V8 specifically as there aren't that many in the UK.

Usually, the U codes can be safely ignored- though can be an indicator of general condition of the comms network - I don't know enough to make any valid comment in your case.

The ones of most concern to me would be:

C1A00-88/T; Control Module, Bus signal/message failure- Bus is off/Temp
B1021-13/P; Source Switch- General Electrical Failure- Circuit open/Perminant

and specifically P0335-92/T; Crankshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit; Component failure- performance or incorrect operation/Temporary

This one is probably nothing to worry about given you have changed the battery - or at least disconnected it before the codes were read?

B1A87-68/T; battery disconnection/Electronic Control module Unit Reset- Algorithm based failure- event information/Temporary

Not sure how easy it is to get to the crankshaft position sensor to check or replace. But that is the one that I think is probably causing your issue?

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

SunKistFrogy
Forum Contributor
Car Details: 2007 LR3

Post by SunKistFrogy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:15 am

Thankyou for your reply.

I have pained over these codes trying to understand what they are actually trying to tell me.
Its been a big learning curve.
Interesting that you say the Crank Shaft Sensor, I have had my suspicions that this is in fact the root cause.
It would seem that it is only a matter of time before it will refuse to start at all.....

The Crank Shaft Sensor is in a VERY tight position.
Does anyone have suggestions for the most efficient removal process???

Globetrotter
Forum Contributor
Car Details: Discovery 3

Post by Globetrotter » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:31 am

Like has been said, the "U" codes are information only but they can lead you to a possible problem. I have the V6 petrol and my 'engine light' is due to an LH rear O2 sensor which should be replaced but I will add the extension to it instead. The crankshaft sensor is at the rear of the engine on the LH side. Mine had the fault once and it was a dirty connection, as yours says 'Temporary" it means it missed a signal which could be anything.
If you have not changed the plug leads and plugs, I would do this, use the Ford platinum plugs. The other thing I would do is a "Master Reset" that is remove negative from battery then remove the positive from the battery and short the two cables together, may need a screwdriver to reach across cables. Wait 20 seconds or more and then connect the positive terminal then the negative terminal and see what codes appear when you run the engine.