Help! Unknown Transmission noise?

Calls for help, Problems, Breakdowns, Mechanical & Electrical
Danny1
Forum Contributor
Car Details: Range Rover Sport

Help! Unknown Transmission noise?

Post by Danny1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:48 pm

Hi There,
This is my first post as I do not own a Disco (much to my wife's disappointment!) but I do own a Range Rover Sport L320,
I have posted an issue I have on the RRS forum and it has been looked at 70 odd times but unfortunately no one has replied as yet,
so I was hoping to tap into the knowledge on this site for a possible answer?

Ok so the problem I have is a noise coming from possibly the trans or drive line I'm not really to sure?, It only happens when I lift off the
throttle to decel and as soon as you touch the throttle it goes away, its like a 'wurring' and I'm also sure i can feel a slight vibration at the
same time and its not obvious until you are over 40 mph and is quite loud.
I recently had the suspension re-calibrated and I asked them to have a quick look over the drive line as I said I had mentioned that I had
experienced some vibration issues,They said centre bearing was good front diff oil level was good and clean with no metallic contents
and didn't see anything obvious, unfortunately I hadn't booked it in for this issue so they didn't have time to give it a full road test.

The vehicle in question is a 2008 3.6TD Range Rover Sport L320
Anybody got any ideas?

Many Thanks,

Danny.

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Re: Help! Unknown Transmission noise?

Post by anglefire » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:02 am

Hi Danny

Presumably an auto?

Could be all sorts, but some things to check:
Rear prop CV joint (i know its been checked allegedly)
Prop splines into the box
Transfer box
Torque converter

Where about are you? There are a few good independents about. Not that I would suggest the one you have been to isn't good!

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

PillowSmuggler
Committee Member
Winner: Avatar of the Year 2012
Comedian of the Year 2013
Mechanic of the Year 2014
Clube Member of the Year 2014
Car Details: Disco3 TDV6 HSE 2007

Post by PillowSmuggler » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:52 pm

Have you had the front wheel bearings replaced recently?
With one set of new bearings I got a similar noise; seemed to be caused by the splines on the drive shaft not quite being the size of the ones in the new bearing.
Noise was only present on the overrun, just like you describe. Went away after I got a new half shaft, which I got after realising that the noise went away temporarily when I heavily copper-greased the splines after an exploratory re-removal of the bearing.
Now, it might have been the cv joint, as that was replaced with the half-shaft as mine had fused together, but I couldn't understand how the grease on the splines would have quietened that part. Just something to consider!

Regards, Dom.
2007 HSE Auto TDV6
Snorkel, Cyclonic air filter, GNVP Rock Sliders
78Ah Aux, Split charge, FBH Timer/Remote, Mantec sump plate
LED: Strobes, interior, camping, brake, running, sides
New Oil Pump, using 2SO at 1:400.

Danny1
Forum Contributor

Post by Danny1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:13 pm

Hi Angelfire,

Thanks for responding!
I'm guessing what I'm experiencing is not a common fault as its been viewed many time here and over on RRS and only
you have replied, I don't know if that's a good thing or not!

I'm based in the Essex area I know of a few indies locally, DS Automotive is my most local and I have used them before
with the wife's Land Rover although I didn't use them for mine but that's another story!

To answer your question yes it is an auto box and that's the trouble I've never owned an auto before (I have driven many though) so didnt really know what to expect from a Range Rover (I only owned the RRS since Dec),
the 'wurring' was possibly there when I first bought it and has since got really bad, not knowing much about how auto trans work and also I'm not familiar with the 4x4 system either so I'm trying to understand what is happening when the noise is there?,
My gut tells me its from the front not the rear but that could be due to the feedback through the pedals and steering maybe?
Its so odd as soon as you tip off the throttle the noise is there and the lightest of touches back on the throttle (no real input)
the noise disappears?

The noise itself as mentioned has definitely got worse and is a kind of wurring definitely something rotating and maybe in
contact with another surface but only when off the throttle?
posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=12654#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very confused with this one?

Danny.

Danny1
Forum Contributor

Post by Danny1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi PillowSmuggler,

That's interesting? that would explain the feedback through the steering and pedals also?
I would be quite happy if it was just wheel bearings/hubs as not a too difficult job to do I imagine
and would be a huge relief that the trans/running gear is also fine.
Thanks for that I will put that to the top of the list for investigation, oddly my garage did say to me
wheel bearings are quite common on these so you could be on to something!

Regards,

Danny.

PillowSmuggler
Committee Member
Winner: Avatar of the Year 2012
Comedian of the Year 2013
Mechanic of the Year 2014
Clube Member of the Year 2014
Car Details: Disco3 TDV6 HSE 2007

Post by PillowSmuggler » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Danny, it would certainly be worth a look!
I just read back what I wrote first time, and obviously the splines are on the brake disc/hub, not the bearing itself...

Remember that the amount of torque on the cv joint/splines is close to minimum during the over-run, so that's when any tiny movements in slightly worn surfaces can occur, and movement = noise. At higher torque the splines will engage harder and so no movement is possible, and things like the cv joint can also follow similar behaviour.
To a lesser extent, roller bearings like the wheel bearings / centre prop shaft bearing too, as the torque causes a side-load that can quieten any slight wear that is uniform i.e the surface/pins are evenly worn.
This stage doesn't tend to last long; it's the first step towards bearing failure, as the constant impact of the side loads during torque changes/road bumps will damage the now thinner bearing surface, and start the wear becoming uneven. Once uneven, and there are pits and other damaged areas, then this silent behaviour will become the opposite and will be noisier under load instead.

Have you raised the car and checked the wheel bearings for play? Might be a good start point?
(Please, if your car came with a scissor jack please get a real non-death-wish jack and use that instead. Even though your car is lighter than our D3/D4 models, I wouldn't trust the LR scissor jack to safely raise a packet of chips)

Regards, Dom.
2007 HSE Auto TDV6
Snorkel, Cyclonic air filter, GNVP Rock Sliders
78Ah Aux, Split charge, FBH Timer/Remote, Mantec sump plate
LED: Strobes, interior, camping, brake, running, sides
New Oil Pump, using 2SO at 1:400.

Danny1
Forum Contributor

Post by Danny1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:39 pm

Hi Dom,
Yes I had hoped that it was the centre prop bearing when I first noticed it, as you say the transition of power/torque
from drive to overrun would make sense but alas no the centre bearing is fine or so I'm told.
I haven't yet got under it myself and I'm not too sure if my trolley jack is rated enough? I have got a feeling it 2 tonne?
I will have to check!.
When i had it booked in for the suspension re-cal they did give it a once over and I'm pretty sure he said he checked for
wheel bearing play, but its certainly easy enough to check for myself.
At the moment I'm kind of hoping it is wheel bearing/hub/spline issues as I imagine this will be cheaper to fix than some
other drive line type problems.
Thanks for the advice its much appreciated!

walesaj
Forum Contributor

Post by walesaj » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:33 am

Hi Danny1

Did you ever sort out your issue?

I have exactly the same noise.