Calls for help, Problems, Breakdowns, Mechanical & Electrical
Bodsy
Chairman
Winner: Technical Post 2012, 2013
Comedian of the Year 2014
Car Details: 2007 HSE

Interesting times.....

Post by Bodsy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:38 am

Thought I'd start a new thread rather than my scattergun approach on the what have you done today thread...

So, it all started.....

Feb 14th, travelling down to Andover/Southampton for a days work before my pre planned gearbox/TC/transfer box change.
Reach Kidderminster and bong bing bing, Christmas tree lights everywhere. Cruised off of the main road onto the grass verge so as to not block the traffic as I could tell it wasn't going to be a quick switch off/on jobby.

Initial diagnosis seemed to point toprobabylalternator failure, Harvoy came and helped out but picking up a new Alternator for me :thumbright:

Fitted at the roadside and started ok, but very shortly, the same faults.
Must be wiring then, checked the TCCM behind the battery, all good there, no corrosion or evidence of water ingresss. Was really surprised at that!

Time for the AA,
Duly recovered and 11 hours after breaking down, it was dropped off at my local garage.

Fixed the wiring that evening and next morning, was corroded canbus wires rear wheel arch. Job done!

Then on to change the gearbox/Transfer box and torque converter.
That was a bitch in itself as when LR changed the engine 5 years ago, they've just tightened everything up to F tight standards. They spcertainly weren't at the supposed 45nm!!

All back together on the Friday morning , just in time to go away in the Van to Chatsworth CC site.

Towed all ok there, pottered around for a few days, then whilst in Bakewell, EML appeared and low power.

Got back ok, but needed to trace the fault, thought it was the faulty MAF sensor (pro actively replaced along with MAP sensorlast year).
Changed and still the same issue.

Eventually traced to corrosion on the MAF sensor live feed (thanks for checking yours Clive).
fixed that and all ready to go back to the same customers that I broke down on the way to swing the previous Tuesday.

This time I managed to get just past Cirencester before I started loosing power and getting some smoke.
Live values (I had it plugged in to read the MAF values) on the MAP showed that boost pressure was really pretty :censored:. Pulled over off the dual carriageway on a slip road and patiently waited for another recovery as I was pretty sure the turbo was knackered.
Let me customers know that I'd broken down year again! They must think I don't want to come south.
Another AA man turned up and then went away whilst I waited for the recovery truck.

Managed to get back home 8 hours after breaking down.

Ordered turbo and a few other bits, new pipe etc and the next day, started to strip it all down.

Easier than expected, but two bolts on the turbo, my god, what a bitch! Had to cut down a spanner to fit properly in the end.
Managed to get it out by the end of the day.
Then on to remove the intercooler and relevant pipes to be replaced. Flipping winch mount needed to come off as well.

Turbo arrived late Monday and then all back together again Tuesday. After draining loads of oil from the exhaust of course!

My god it was smokey when I drove up the hill as it tried to burn the remaining oil in there.

Pottered around for a few days and re arrange three days of customers work.

So onto this week,
Monday, South Wales,
Tuesday Andover and Southampton/Portsmouth
Wednesday Chelmsford/Colchester/Newmarket

All going well.

Then at the m6 /featherstone road roundabout, I had my window a bit open and a lorry at my side, I could hear what sounded like big ends knocking, thought it was the lorry, until he carried on tot the M6 and I then had another lorry on my inside, reflecting the sound back, realised it was me :surprise: :surprise: :surprise:
Feck, feck and double feck with sugar on!

Pulled Into the Larry filling station, opened the bonnet and checked the oil cap, mayo... :-(
Now I know why I had to put more coolant in 150 miles ago, it was obviously getting into the oil.
But sounds like not only head gasket problems, but a terminal knocking from the engine. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Another AA call (third in as many weeks!) and eventually recovered home, where the car now sits on the drive whilst I Contemplate.......

Check http://tinyurl.com/brakebible
Here for How to change your Brake Pads, Disks, EPB Shoes Adjust, removal, cleaning & fitting Guide.

IID Pro Multivehicle. D3, D4, RRSport pre and post 2010, FFRR.
Gearbox Transmission Flushes and much more

Disco3Club Chairman

alfamale
Elected Club Member
Car Details: MY11 Discovery 4 XS

Re: Interesting times.....

Post by alfamale » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:23 am

Bloody hell, what a nightmare few weeks you've had.

You should have called from Cirencester, I could have been with you in 20mins. If only with a flask of tea/coffee and a bacon butty and nothing else.

OEM RAI & Ladder, Front Runner Rack, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets!

Bodsy
Chairman

Post by Bodsy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:26 am

I think, I can safely say, it was the extra weight of your fridge I was carrying that caused the latest problem, so just and over your Disco and we'll call it even stevens.......? :whistle:

Here for How to change your Brake Pads, Disks, EPB Shoes Adjust, removal, cleaning & fitting Guide.

Disco3Club Chairman

DSL
Forum Contributor
Car Details: The old muddy banger

Post by DSL » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:33 am

Feel for you young Ian, feel for you. Hopefully nothing too expensive but doesn't sound cheap. Time to ditch the old girl?

If only I could think of something useful to type here!! :(

Bodsy
Chairman

Post by Bodsy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:50 am

Ditch it for what though? I don't have the funds for a D4 and if I get another d3 in that price bracket, it's going to have all the age related problems I've mostly fixed on this :-(
It's a tough choice at the moment on what to do tbh.....
going to rent a van for a few weeks.....

Disco3Club Chairman

DSL
Forum Contributor
Car Details: The old muddy banger

Post by DSL » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:53 am

I know, I thought "for what?" as soon as I submitted. :(

If only I could think of something useful to type here!! :(

alfamale
Elected Club Member
Car Details: MY11 Discovery 4 XS

Post by alfamale » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:16 am

Bodsy wrote:I think, I can safely say, it was the extra weight of your fridge I was carrying that caused the latest problem, so just and over your Disco and we'll call it even stevens.......? :whistle:
Errr, ummm, ahhh :surprise: :oops:

OEM RAI & Ladder, Front Runner Rack, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets!

mzplcg
Forum Contributor
Car Details: BMW 540ix MSport

Post by mzplcg » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:24 am

Ian, don't know what to say. And I thought I had problems.....

If the engine's gone there are a fwe on EBAY, mostly from S Typs Jags, but the same block etc so should be able to fit one of those. I know what you mean about D4s though, even the oldest ones around 2010 are still strong money.

Got a Skoda with a knackered engine if that's any good to you bud. :lol:

Club FFRR

Basic Machine Polishing guide here
http://www.disco3club.co.uk/gallery/alb ... _Guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave_Harris
Forum Contributor
Car Details: 2011, 3.0 D4 HSE

Post by Dave_Harris » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:19 pm

That really sucks!
Impossible situation to come out of feeling good as well!

Either you further invest with the fear of it being a bottomless pit.

You bite the bullet now and look for another equivalent - low mileage D3, cheap (worryingly?) D4 or look further afield.

Or you do what I did, decide to move away from the lifestyle altogether, and then find yourself with a D4 a few months later because you couldn't deal without it!!

My view for what it's worth is that you have already crossed the line of getting rid of it (in that it's behind you) - with what you have already invested, I would suggest at this stage to carry on and get it sorted.
Changing now means you won't recoup that cost - I know you never will, but you at least have the option to gain some value out of what you have done if you can get it back on the road again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PillowSmuggler
Committee Member
Winner: Avatar of the Year 2012
Comedian of the Year 2013
Mechanic of the Year 2014
Clube Member of the Year 2014
Car Details: Disco3 TDV6 HSE 2007

Post by PillowSmuggler » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:25 pm

Bleeding ell Bods, feel for you :( That's a tragedy in many acts :(

Really hard to advise as I'm not wearing your shoes (though it sounds like all of us with the ten+ year old clunkers are going to sooner or later).
Dave's advice seems sound; you'll not recover your expenses so far if you chop it in now, and you've already replaced half the car :roll: so assuming your ladder rail isn't going to fold in half from rust changing the lump seems to make a perverted kind of sense.

Regards, Dom.
2007 HSE Auto TDV6
Snorkel, Cyclonic air filter, GNVP Rock Sliders
78Ah Aux, Split charge, FBH Timer/Remote, Mantec sump plate
LED: Strobes, interior, camping, brake, running, sides
New Oil Pump, using 2SO at 1:400.