Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

People bypassing content filtering

Post by Stu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:55 am

I'm posting this publicly to get a general consensus.

I've noticed that recently people are using numbers in words to get around the content filter. So for example hiss becomes hi55 or ship becomes sh1p.

Personally I think its wrong to do that as the content filter is there for a reason. I think when the censored flag is shown those that are old enough to understand certain words can follow the thread perfectly. So what should we do:

1 Do nothing it's acceptable to bypass it
2 Add extra combinations to our filter
3 Request people not do it and moderate it

I don't think its a major issue but wondered what people thought.

Can you post sensible replies only please (I know that's hard) I myself would be tempted to write "p 1 double 5 off" as a reply, but I'd like to get honest thoughts.

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"

countrywide

Re: People bypassing content filtering

Post by countrywide » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:03 am

I think it would be best if it were stopped, either voluntarily or with moderation. The website comes up as one with adult content when you use certain providers as it is.

mzplcg
Forum Contributor
Car Details: BMW 540ix MSport

Post by mzplcg » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:24 am

Actually, when I think about it I agree with Andy. I also asked SWMBO's opinion as she hates foul language of any kind. In fact her answer was "That's a family club and if kids might be reading it then profanity of any kind is off limits"

Now, I'm one of the offenders and I don't know for sure how many members (or even non members) children might read these pages, but as I think about that statement alone, the fact I don't know probably means it needs to stop.

Yesterday I was round at Hammer Boy's place and I'm fairly sure he wouldn't want me using that kind of language in front of his wife & kids. No more would I want anyone coming round here and using it in front of my family.

Blokes in the boozer = probably OK in most circumstances. Anytime else it's very likely to be not OK. Therefore, on balance I think it should cease, or be moderated as necessary. Either way I shall desist as I have no wish to risk offending anyone by using profanity, and neither would I wish to be thought of as a foul-mouthed yob (even if it's true :lol: )

Now Stu, will you please :censored: :censored: ans stop asking such thought provoking questions on a sunday morning. :lol:

Club FFRR

Basic Machine Polishing guide here
http://www.disco3club.co.uk/gallery/alb ... _Guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MrsClayton
Forum Contributor
Car Details: MY66 Discovery 4

Post by MrsClayton » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:27 am

I agree, there is no need for the use of foul language in any form.

PillowSmuggler
Committee Member
Winner: Avatar of the Year 2012
Comedian of the Year 2013
Mechanic of the Year 2014
Clube Member of the Year 2014
Car Details: Disco3 TDV6 HSE 2007

Post by PillowSmuggler » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:34 am

Well as an offender I suppose I really should reply!
I have three reasons I use the alternatives.
1) my work instant message client and email reports any use of these censored words and technically (though I've never heard of it happening) we could be up for disciplinary action for using them. As such sometimes I use the coded form automatically on here without thinking.
2) Sometimes it's useful to be able to set the level of obscenity so others can gauge the level of my own feelings.
He's a :censored:
doesn't impart the depth of feeling as to whether I think he's a mild $h1t or a malevolent "c word". Computer messaging has a history of blocking the emotional intent behind a sentence, whereas face to face a light hearted sentence may be given a darker emphasis or an abusive phrase made light hearted.
3) there are words that are filtered that I don't consider offensive as they appear in teen drama on the CBBC. Not on the news maybe, but certainly they are in open use. Bu99er being one of them, sh1t being another.

Now that didn't really answer your questions fully, but I hope it gives some insight into why I sometimes use them.

I think before answering more directly I'd have to ask what level of censorship do we support as a site? We're a family site so censorship of certain words should be mandatory, but at what level should we set that bar? I've heard language from 8 year olds that could curl your hair, and one admittedly just one occasion heard a toddler in a reception class call another boy the c word as if that was completely normal. The way the teacher went :censored: ape at him started a very swift learning curve!

So is there such a thing as an official published list of words deemed unacceptable today? Do we have a particular age limit that we consider to be the youngest we're likely to see on here and a dictionary to match? Or do we go for a blanket ban on one and all as that's frankly easier.

I don't have an answer to these myself yet, so I'm looking forwards to the debate...

Regards, Dom.
2007 HSE Auto TDV6
Snorkel, Cyclonic air filter, GNVP Rock Sliders
78Ah Aux, Split charge, FBH Timer/Remote, Mantec sump plate
LED: Strobes, interior, camping, brake, running, sides
New Oil Pump, using 2SO at 1:400.

Stu
Vice Chairman

Post by Stu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:39 am

BTW, this isn't aimed at anyone, and I myself might have done the same in the past, I don't know.

It's wasn't meant to be too thought provoking though Dom! (MZPLCG)

Stu
Vice Chairman

Post by Stu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:43 am

With regards to what level do you set the censorship - that's a question that will never reach agreement - who censors the censors?

Ultimately it's down to the committee to make a call on it, but I thought it would be sensible to get an idea of peoples feelings and thoughts. I don't think it's a big issue, it's not like we've had a load of complaints and as I said previously my comments weren't aimed at anyone, I just noticed that the practice was occurring and wondered what we thought about it. I didn't add a forth option - but you we could remove all filtering.

PillowSmuggler
Committee Member
Winner: Avatar of the Year 2012
Comedian of the Year 2013
Mechanic of the Year 2014
Clube Member of the Year 2014
Car Details: Disco3 TDV6 HSE 2007

Post by PillowSmuggler » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:47 am

countrywide wrote:I think it would be best if it were stopped, either voluntarily or with moderation. The website comes up as one with adult content when you use certain providers as it is.
Now that's an eye opener Andy, so how are they determining we have adult content if the main words are filtered?
I'd be happy to use the same criteria as these content providers to bring the forum off the adult content list. Of course some have human readers and have seen some of the car polishing photos...

Regards, Dom.
2007 HSE Auto TDV6
Snorkel, Cyclonic air filter, GNVP Rock Sliders
78Ah Aux, Split charge, FBH Timer/Remote, Mantec sump plate
LED: Strobes, interior, camping, brake, running, sides
New Oil Pump, using 2SO at 1:400.

J@mes
Forum Contributor
Winner: Rear of The Year 2012

Post by J@mes » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:50 am

Doesn't bother me really, and the excuse of "kids might read it" doesn't hold any weight.

If people are worried about their kids, they better keep them off Facebook, twitter, YouTube and keep them out of the school playground.

Best remove the :censored: smiley and any that represent violence if we're that worried about the children. After all, it implies foul language and violence to make a point.

What about the "what are we drinking tonight" thread? A good example to children? Or the aftermath of the Pyrenees Captain Morgan night pictures? We're all laughing at how drunk Steve got, but its not really that clever, is it?

It shouldn't be "anything goes" on here but I don't think the odd pi55 instead of :censored: is going to send any kids on the rampage.

Saw the light, gone German

countrywide

Post by countrywide » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:50 am

I have no idea how they do it, might even be on the censored word icon itself. Was setting up iPhone for SWMBO and when I went to our site, it popped up with warning.