*Newbie Alert* What should I do/not do and in what order

For everything Discovery 3 and 4 related
Webberdisco3
Forum Contributor
Car Details: 2006 Disco 3 tdv6

*Newbie Alert* What should I do/not do and in what order

Post by Webberdisco3 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:04 pm

Soooo finally joined the land rover world, the wife wanted something bigger than the 3 series estate. So have bagged me a 2006 (1/3/06) tdv6. 167k but has a massive folder of receipts. Including suspension pump, front and rear belts done 3 years ago (9k miles and comment that oil pump was upgrade style) serviced every 6k. Auto box last flushed 30k ago but done at 80k and 130k. Urethane front bushes, so appears to be well cared for, same family owed since new, uncle, father then son.
Wife is now in love with it so that’s a result, so only picky fault is a tiny tick on cold start lasts about 2 seconds and goes, (guessing mileage, these don’t have timing chains do they?) and the reverse sensors don’t work.

I have machine mopped and cut all the paint and polished her, (Doris) and polished. Does anyone recommend the ceramic sealants? If so which one? As by Christ it was getting dirty quick before the cut and polish.

I am quite handy, having been a mechanic in my younger years.

So where do I start on reverse sensors?

What should I be doing maintenance to keep her going good?

Wax oil or anything underneath I should be cleaning protecting?

New pads on it but disks look worn so will be doing that and an oil service soon, any disks to go for? Or avoid? Best oil to keep her going? Recommend filters?

Any help or pointers would be great, as despite the massive book of history, would like to keep on top of things and be a bit preventative not reactive.

Thanks people

Nick

Webberdisco3
Forum Contributor
Car Details: 2006 Disco 3 tdv6

Re: *Newbie Alert* What should I do/not do and in what order

Post by Webberdisco3 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:21 pm

It’s had a recall for a tow bar? Reinforced crossmember? And fixed bar replacement? If that makes sense to people? O yeah whilst I am at it, What screws hold the plastic cowling that hides the electrics? Mine was not fixed? Anyone know the part number?

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Post by anglefire » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:29 pm

only picky fault is a tiny tick on cold start lasts about 2 seconds and goes
They all do that - some from almost new, some (like my old one after its rebuilt engine) didn't make a sound until about 100k, then you could just start to hear it sometimes. Its essentially the hydraulic valves - they leak back into the sump so have to be repumped on startup.
It’s had a recall for a tow bar? Reinforced crossmember? And fixed bar replacement?
The gooseneck towbar would occasionally fail out so LR decided that it was for occasional use and issued the recall so they could be checked - including the crossmemeber which in some cases had to be replaced. Sounds like yours did!

A result to be fair. :thumbright:

Advanced factors are one of the best places to get your bits. Very good to deal with as very knowledgeable.

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

Mercian
Forum Contributor
Car Details: Discovery 4 HSE

Post by Mercian » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:23 pm

Soak the front seat belts in really hot water with soap powder. Give them a good rinse and let them dry before releasing them back into the housing.