Worst puncture I've ever had!

For everything Discovery 3 and 4 related
Cosmo1
Forum Contributor
Car Details: Disco 3 tdv6

Worst puncture I've ever had!

Post by Cosmo1 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:58 am

Here's the scenario, lovely day weather wise so decided to visit my Son and family. Journey is about 60mls of which half is hill road. It's twisty with good surface, trees have bee cut so it's easy to see other traffic and gives time to get in passing place. Had 18mls to go and was forced in to side by pair white vans racing nose to tail.Noticed not right, got out to find n/s/ r flat. I carry these puncture in can repair things, so this will be piece of old dawdle and I'll be on my way. Discovered where leak was connected can as per instructions. I was always under impression these cans were pressureised but had to hold can upside down for good 15 mins to empty it in tyre.Got my new halfrauds tyre inflator out and preceded to inflate tyre. No chance, its type where you preset pressure, after switching it on it only ran for several seconds end stopped. Won't inflate flat tyre. So me thinks change to spare. Empty the rear and get spare out, put scissors jack on it and wouldn't lift it, I carry couple bits wood for jack but no use, tried bits trees etc. passing motorist had small bottle jack and by using it on chassis and scissors on bottom arm got wheel off. Getting spare on was task. On getting bottle jack out from under car I forgot rear door was open and split my head just above my eye. Next stupid bit I had no first aid kit. But managed with kitchen roll to stop bleeding enough to get going. There was no phone signal. So foot pump no use for flat tyre.Puncture in can didn't work and scissors jack useless. On getting home had spare repaired and used trolley jack under arm but didn't lift it high enough, so ran it up on wood blocks. Now I'm reading about best jack to carry, would prefer bottle jack (would second hand original be answer) now have good first aid kit in back and scar on forehead! What an episode! Don't use moor road now. I've always had full AA package but with no phone signal on moor road it's main road now!

Bodsy
Chairman
Winner: Technical Post 2012, 2013
Comedian of the Year 2014
Car Details: 2007 HSE

Re: Worst puncture I've ever had!

Post by Bodsy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:37 pm

That sounds like an epic trip for all the wrong reasons.

Some people use sprinter van bottle jacks.

Check http://tinyurl.com/brakebible
Here for How to change your Brake Pads, Disks, EPB Shoes Adjust, removal, cleaning & fitting Guide.

IID Pro Multivehicle. D3, D4, RRSport pre and post 2010, FFRR.
Gearbox Transmission Flushes and much more

Disco3Club Chairman

mzplcg
Forum Contributor
Car Details: BMW 540ix MSport

Post by mzplcg » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:43 pm

Sprinter bottle jack is what the Range Rover boys use. Search on fullfatrr.com, you should find plenty of info.

Club FFRR

Basic Machine Polishing guide here
http://www.disco3club.co.uk/gallery/alb ... _Guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PillowSmuggler
Committee Member
Winner: Avatar of the Year 2012
Comedian of the Year 2013
Mechanic of the Year 2014
Clube Member of the Year 2014
Car Details: Disco3 TDV6 HSE 2007

Post by PillowSmuggler » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:32 pm

That is an extreme puncture indeed, and turned into quite an adventure! Hope your head recovers from its reminder of what life with a Discovery 5 would be like :shark:

I have a cheap £20 2-ton trolley jack that for over two years I managed to get hidden into the rear drivers side cubby, but now it won't fit anymore and I don't know why :cry:
I use it to lift the bottom of the wishbone; it has no chance of lifting the car but unlike the scissor jack it's unlikely to kill me when changing a wheel.

I also carry a high flow air pump for re-inflating the tyres - these are 30A type and so require direct battery connection but usually have enough puff to get the tyre to inflate even if the bead has been broken. These are obviously larger than your average pocket tyre inflator so you still have to find somewhere to stow it, but as there's no electronics it'll always run in the situation you've described.

Regards, Dom.
2007 HSE Auto TDV6
Snorkel, Cyclonic air filter, GNVP Rock Sliders
78Ah Aux, Split charge, FBH Timer/Remote, Mantec sump plate
LED: Strobes, interior, camping, brake, running, sides
New Oil Pump, using 2SO at 1:400.