Discounted group buys / bulk purchases
Kingmav66
Forum Contributor
Winner: Modification of the Year 2013
Mechanical Maestro of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Re: Group Buy available GVIF Interface

Post by Kingmav66 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:23 pm

I'm sure Bodsy will be along to advise soon.
I hope you guys iron out the problems ready for me to fit mine :mrgreen: :whistle:

Bodsy
Chairman
Winner: Technical Post 2012, 2013
Comedian of the Year 2014
Car Details: 2007 HSE

Post by Bodsy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:34 pm

There's only a few wires need connecting tbh.

Power and ground are obvious.
Grey wire for reverse feed goes to the reverse positive at the rear passenger side light cluster. You will need to run a wire to it. Scotchlok or strip and solder it in.

Rear c is for the reverse camera.
You may decide to power the reverse camera from the reverse light power or from the rear 12v socket. All the ones I've done have them from the rear 12v socket as sometimes they want to put the reverse cam onto one of the normal a/v inputs so the can view it all the time. It's very easy to switch the cable back to the reverse cam input.

Then the ir and manual switch get plugged into the relevant connectors from that cable loom.
No need to connect canbus or any of the other wires.

If you are going to add a TV or other media source you will need to connect the audio from the a/v out to the aux input. Either the super quick way to the rear audio aux in socket or the proper way by wiring it into the front audio connectors.

Check http://tinyurl.com/brakebible
Here for How to change your Brake Pads, Disks, EPB Shoes Adjust, removal, cleaning & fitting Guide.

IID Pro Multivehicle. D3, D4, RRSport pre and post 2010, FFRR.
Gearbox Transmission Flushes and much more

Disco3Club Chairman

Jason
Forum Contributor
Car Details: Defender 110 DC

Post by Jason » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:33 pm

It makes sense, mines in to the point of sitting on the floor behind passenger seat. It's powered up and the toggle switch does indeed switch the Nav screen from Satnav to AV1/AV2/AV3 then back to Satnav. I also rigged my camera up to ensure it worked. This I did by connecting the camera to its dedicated AV lead, the the grey cable to a temporary switch live........then that displayed my ugly mug on the Satnav screen which is the switched AV4 on the screen.

Does take some thinking for the 1st 30mins, then it gets easier.....trust me. I've chickened out on the rest of the install as I packed up at 2pm because back to work tomorrow and need the car, so I've got to the point of removing trim/dog boxes/rear handle etc . I have fitted the camera to the handle, but at the moment it's not wired and only a light. I'll finish the install at the weekend.

I promise I am doing a pic by pic install, it might be easier to follow that rather than the instructions that are WAY out of accuracy initially.

Bodsy, you say powering the rear camera via the rear cluster reverse bulb....to save me finding my multimeter again, would you know which 2 wires in the cluster looms I need to tap into?, its not clear on the instructions at all.....and in fact the picture is sooooo blury you can barely make out the light :evil:

Defender 110 Double Cab 2010

SkyTag GPS Tracker & SkyTag LW52

SafeTPedal Security

Bluefin Remap Interface, +40bhp/102Nm

Jason
Forum Contributor

Post by Jason » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:36 pm

RTW wrote:Like I said earlier, the instructions don't match the hardware :headbang: :lol:
Instructions say connect 'Rear-C' to the 12v feed, but 'Rear-C' in the actual loom is the AV to the camera, there is a grey wire marked as 'rear', does anyone know if this needs connecting to the 12v feeding the camera ie the reverse light power? If so, no additional wire is with it to reach the rear of the car.

PS Every page is page 18 :lol:

If you connect the grey wire marked Rear to the GVIF unit live to test, the Satnav screen goes black, this is the AV4 reverse camera screen. To test the camera I joined the grey and camera live to the GVIF live, and my mug was displayed on the screen.

SafeTPedal Security

RTW
Elected Club Member

Post by RTW » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:55 pm

Cheers guys :thumbright:
Yeah, pretty much as I expected :)
I may well rig it up so I have to manually switch to the rear camera, instead of it being activated with reverse, as that is how I have the front and rear camera's set up on the DII :thumbright:

Richard.
D4 HSE Luxury
DII V8 - Sounds very nice, even under water
DII V8 - ES Premium
Cobra Replica - 4.2 V8
Dax Rush - 3.5 V8

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Post by anglefire » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:24 pm

Is it possible to have the reversing camera both switched and manually selected?

The only reason I ask is that to my mind and based only on the camera I have fitted in my handle - is that it is rare that the camera would need to be used in normal operation - i.e. when not reversing, but there are occasions when it would be good to use it - such as when the boot is full to the ceiling - or in Jason's case, when the boot is full of dogs!

So, it would make sense to have it normally switched by the reversing lights coming on, or switchable. I know the screen I have can be set to switch to the reversing camera when in reverse by simply connecting the switch wire to the lights - as long as the camera is powered normally it can be selected at anytime :thumbright:

Also, is it possible to have a second output to an external screen rather than the Satnav screen - I'm just thinking that with the caravan connected, I would want the caravan image on the rear view mirror monitor all the time and the satnav on, well, the satnav screen, but the reversing camera on the satnav screen when in reverse.

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

Jason
Forum Contributor

Post by Jason » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:49 pm

Without testing it fully, I'm sure you can attach another camera to one of the AV leads and use the toggle switch betwen the Satnav, Reverse camera with the kit and another added on camera

SafeTPedal Security

Bodsy
Chairman
Winner: Technical Post 2012, 2013
Comedian of the Year 2014
Car Details: 2007 HSE

Post by Bodsy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:42 pm

I would suggest you could easily use a splitter to go from the rear camera to both rear-c input AND A/V input. In fact a customer has asked for this. There is no reason why this wouldn't work. Provided of course that the cable has the right connectors male/female the right way round for the setup.
I'll probably make my own splitter cable up as it's dead easy

Check http://tinyurl.com/brakebible
Here for How to change your Brake Pads, Disks, EPB Shoes Adjust, removal, cleaning & fitting Guide.

IID Pro Multivehicle. D3, D4, RRSport pre and post 2010, FFRR.
Gearbox Transmission Flushes and much more

Disco3Club Chairman

Jason
Forum Contributor

Post by Jason » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:45 pm

Splitter AV cables are available from Maplins and with the FL2 headrest screen.

SafeTPedal Security

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Post by anglefire » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:54 pm

Mind you, I have other things to spend the money on TBH and what I have at the moment works :whistle:

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here