Neild
Forum Contributor
Winner: Comedian of the Year 2012
Funniest Thread of the Year 2012
Car Details: Wife's D4

Re: NEW GNVP Product, Adjustable Rods

Post by Neild » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:09 am

Low rider kits easy enough to make, just need longer rods :thumbright:

There's no "i" in team but there are 5 in individual brilliance...

methley
Forum Contributor

Post by methley » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:02 am

Remember your cross-link valves will only open when the suspension switch is set to off-road height. Running shortened rods to get to off-road height won't do the same and the valves will remain shut.

Bigcarpchaser
Club Supporter
Car Details: BMW 320CC Msport +

Post by Bigcarpchaser » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:26 am

Personally I'm against longer rods, I think running the car lower will make it donk on the bump stops

http://www.gnvehicleprotection.co.uk
Rock Sliders, Sump Guards, Rear Access Ladders, Exhaust Bungs all for the Discovery 3

Navigator
Forum Contributor

Post by Navigator » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:56 pm

My set of later-style rods arrived at weekend and are now fitted. Couple of things to note before fitting yours to make it even easier.

You will need something to prise off the Land Rover rods. The biggest, flattest screwdriver you have is a good point to start. One rod end is connected to a flimsy plastic crank - get it off first or the whole lot flaps about and the crank could break. Off-road height gives more space to work.

Fronts can be done by turning the wheel to full lock. Ideal position to reach is lying under the chassis but DONT DO IT! Remember you are twiddling the system that controls the vehicle height, and the computer may decide to lower it (Ha - you only "think" it is switched off).

Rears may be possible with the wheel in place, but I could not even work out where the rod was until I took the wheel off. It is then even more straightforward than the front.

Being a fussy old engineer I fitted the rods with the outer section to the top so damp would drain, and thought about how I would be reaching in to make the adjustment when positioning the clip.

Have a practice doing the clip with one hand before you fit them as you will need to do so when making adjustment under the vehicle. Front is just turn the wheel, but the rear needs you right underneath from the side to reach up through the wishbone. Are you ambidexterous?

I can't see why we don't have the third set of holes to give the extreme setting as the starting point. Someone will get a drill out one day.

I have photos of the different heights taken while doing the change but I dont use external hosting so you will need to get them from me by email if you want to see the difference before you buy.

Neild
Forum Contributor
Winner: Comedian of the Year 2012
Funniest Thread of the Year 2012
Car Details: Wife's D4

Post by Neild » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:13 pm

When I did Gary's no tools were needed bar some WD40 to help lube the rubbers on the OEM ones.

Did the fronts over the wheels in straight mode, and the rears through the wishbone with the car dead. If tue car lowers a little it's only 10mm or so, so no biggie.

That's how I did it and it work for me. Took about 4 mins total.

Can't recall which way up we put them now as I'm away but there is one way that suits to clippage.

You like then Nav?

There's no "i" in team but there are 5 in individual brilliance...

Bigcarpchaser
Club Supporter
Car Details: BMW 320CC Msport +

Post by Bigcarpchaser » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:04 pm

You put em on up the other way....Ollie changed them for me last night, took him about 5 mins. Also put a squirt of wd40 inside cause I couldn't find my coppergrease.

http://www.gnvehicleprotection.co.uk
Rock Sliders, Sump Guards, Rear Access Ladders, Exhaust Bungs all for the Discovery 3