Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

4-Tech

Post by Stu » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:54 pm

I visited Gordon at 4-Tech last week to get my gearbox flushed. I thought I'd better report my findings.

So arrived at 4Tech after assuming it was only a short hop from Leicester :oops:

Very simple to hook up to the "Mega Flush" just a couple of pipes bolted on. Then the magic happens and you watch the dial turn and the fluid flow. I was shocked at just how grubby the old oil was, especially considering I had changed it a year previous. Although I only did a single flush, I think it does show how little of the oil I acutally got out.

Anyway a few minutes later and it's all done.

Gordon then hooked up the Fault mate to rest the adaptive gear box and while I was there he also added three flash indicators, clock and the warning light to show headlights are on (standard on newer models).

So back to the gearbox.

After leaving Gordon I was expecting great things, however it didn't appear to be much different, the revs were still surging around the 2000 mark.

So initially i was a little disapointed and nearly phoned Gordon up, but I was running late and I was now starting to think that my issues were not gearbox related. So I drove from Wisbeach down to the Southern area meet. Traffic was bad around the M25 and so I crawled along most of it, but then I did get some clearer patches and when I did I thought I noticed some improvement. Anyway by the time i started heading down the A3 I was convinced that things were better. Now over a week later I can happily report that the car is driving beautifully. Very smooth and it no longer feels at though the power is slipping away.

I'll try and remember to update this in a few months to let you know if it is still improved.

Oh, and MPG seems to have gone up a little!

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"

countrywide

Re: 4-Tech

Post by countrywide » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:59 pm

And thanks for my brake pads you got me from Gordon Stu :thumbright: .

Paul
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:26 pm

That's a strange one....

If the gearbox was completely flushed and all old oil replaced with new, then I don't see how it could continue doing the same fault on the drive home...... :?:

I was the one who first did the BCU flashing to allow the 3-flash and uploading the MY07 software into a MY06 instrument pack to get the clock and FBH/lights-on indicator.....I should have bloody patented it :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW - your mpg probably improved slightly as a result of resetting the adaptive gearbox :thumbright:

Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Post by Stu » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:15 am

I thought it was a bit odd as well but it's driving sweetly now so as long as it stays like that the I don't care.

I guess the flush can get / move all the oil between the gears so maybe it's just taken a few miles to shift all the :censored: from between them and spread it amongst the new clean oil? Don't know though

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"

discodunc
Forum Contributor

Post by discodunc » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:19 pm

just did my gearbox oil today - flushed 9 litres through it by draining and refilling - took about 1 hour and the last drain produced almost new like oil.

what and where does 4-tech connect up to the gearbox. As you fill it with the engine running I'm wonder if i can rig up a DIY thing next time ? found Filos post on disco3.co.uk - will try that next time

PhilHunt
Forum Contributor

Post by PhilHunt » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:48 pm

Paul wrote: I was the one who first did the BCU flashing to allow the 3-flash and uploading the MY07 software into a MY06 instrument pack to get the clock and FBH/lights-on indicator....
I have an SE registered March 05, can the MY07 software be uploaded onto mine Paul????

'Endeavour' - Discovery 3 SE - sadly now gone but to a good loving home

countrywide

Post by countrywide » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:08 pm

Yes it can Phil

PhilHunt
Forum Contributor

Post by PhilHunt » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:47 pm

:thumbright:

Wiggs enabled my 4x4 display soon after he'd got his Faultmate. I'm sure he tried to get the 3 flash working but was unsuccessful. I guess the technique's been perfected since then.

I know Spooky has the kit but he's away at the moment. Anyone else on here localish to me that could do this for me?

'Endeavour' - Discovery 3 SE - sadly now gone but to a good loving home

Paul
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:18 pm

countrywide wrote:Yes it can Phil
Yes it can Phil :lol: :lol: :thumbright:

Paul
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:20 pm

PhilHunt wrote:I'm sure he tried to get the 3 flash working but was unsuccessful. I guess the technique's been perfected since then.
Yep - although the 3 flash parameter has been in the CCF since the D3 was launched, the funcion was never added to the BCU software until MY07, so it won't work until the BCU is also re-flashed with newer software :thumbright: