How do you handle death?

The Bar is open, pop inside to discuss anything non car or club related.
Jason
Forum Contributor
Car Details: Defender 110 DC

Re: How do you handle death?

Post by Jason » Tue May 31, 2011 11:05 pm

I was thinking of my grandad too, he raised me to a certain extent. Everything I learnt was with him, except still I have'nt learned to fish. That was something he always promised.

Still fresh in my mind he was the strongest man I knew, a no nosense man that taught me to care for myself. I think nothing of goodness for him, a great man. Sadly he was taken from us early, unexpected.

I never knew of his immediate passing, I was in Northern Ireland with HM forces, and the family decided not to immediately tell me, and still to this day I have'nt made peace with them.

Ian, reflect and embrace all the greatness your father blessed you entire family with, what I have read is touching and envious of such a close unit. All the time you remember him, he will live on.

Take Care, Remember and never forget.......They all live on within us

Defender 110 Double Cab 2010

SkyTag GPS Tracker & SkyTag LW52

SafeTPedal Security

Bluefin Remap Interface, +40bhp/102Nm

benp
Green Lane Rep
Winner: Benner of the year
Car Details: D3

Post by benp » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:53 am

Nice eulogy Ian V moving

Mark canal boats are so much cooler than caravans as there are no drink drive limits and lots of pubs to stop at :whistle:

Benner of the year
club dog guard in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out....club the dog is dead but cant change the signature :(
club the D3 is alive!

Bodsy
Chairman
Winner: Technical Post 2012, 2013
Comedian of the Year 2014
Car Details: 2007 HSE

Post by Bodsy » Fri May 04, 2012 1:47 pm

Well, It's been a funny old year........

When My father died, I was running a Bushcraft/survival type weekend for the Scouts.
Somehow it seems appropriate that a year later (well, 52 exact weeks anyway) I'll be on another Bushcraft/survival type weekend.
He was always proud of what I achieved in Scouts, as a boy and as a man. I think he would approve of me being here this weekend. :thumbright:

I've often read back through this during the year, with joy and with sorrow in equal measures.

Just to say thanks for letting me express something, somehow in some way. It's been a great help. :thumbright:

Check http://tinyurl.com/brakebible
Here for How to change your Brake Pads, Disks, EPB Shoes Adjust, removal, cleaning & fitting Guide.

IID Pro Multivehicle. D3, D4, RRSport pre and post 2010, FFRR.
Gearbox Transmission Flushes and much more

Disco3Club Chairman

DSL
Forum Contributor
Car Details: The old muddy banger

Post by DSL » Fri May 04, 2012 1:59 pm

Hopefully we can help with something like this, at most other serious things we are pretty useless, well speaking for myself anyway. :thumbright:

If only I could think of something useful to type here!! :(

Devonchilliman
Forum Contributor
Winner: Most useless modification of the year 2014

Post by Devonchilliman » Fri May 04, 2012 2:08 pm

It's good to talk :thumbright:

http://Www.devonchilliman.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bigcarpchaser
Club Supporter
Car Details: BMW 320CC Msport +

Post by Bigcarpchaser » Fri May 04, 2012 6:56 pm

Share your thoughts mate given the previous few weeks :thumbright:

http://www.gnvehicleprotection.co.uk
Rock Sliders, Sump Guards, Rear Access Ladders, Exhaust Bungs all for the Discovery 3

Jason
Forum Contributor
Car Details: Defender 110 DC

Post by Jason » Fri May 04, 2012 7:05 pm

Despite some ribbings and banter, and even my early days here......as a club I find all members at hand to listen, and more importantly we are here to pick you up.....it's a fantastic place to share good and bad times as we all care.

Ian, you're father will be missed by you and you're family, and remembering him and even sharing a thought for him is utmost respect to an obviously great man.

Defender 110 Double Cab 2010

SkyTag GPS Tracker & SkyTag LW52

SafeTPedal Security

Bluefin Remap Interface, +40bhp/102Nm

benp
Green Lane Rep
Winner: Benner of the year
Car Details: D3

Post by benp » Fri May 04, 2012 7:29 pm

Several things
1 I can’t believe its been a year :shock:
2 still good to think back on your Dad and memories will always be there is how I think about it is its always better to share them
3 to steal a phrase from BCC man hugs ;)
4 have you nutters seen the weather report for this weekend …… the canoeing in a couple of weeks is lightly to be dryer than you lot on your bushcraft ... here is a fishy for you all have fun :shark:

Benner of the year
club dog guard in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out....club the dog is dead but cant change the signature :(
club the D3 is alive!

Bodsy
Chairman
Winner: Technical Post 2012, 2013
Comedian of the Year 2014
Car Details: 2007 HSE

Post by Bodsy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:01 am

Well, it’s been a while since I’ve added anything to this.
It’s been good to re read through it again.

Currently my mum is almost at end of life.
She’d been suffering This last year with starting to occasionally forget things and not having much energy to do as much as she used to.
At 81 this last April, you can’t blame her for taking it easy!

Well she hasn’t been eating As much as usual this last couple of months and one thing and another meant she went into hospital and had a CT and MRI scan. she has Graves’ disease so her lungs aren’t the best and we’d been isolating her from everyone.

Turns out that she has a brain tumour....
too old and not strong enough to undergo surgery (has a weak heart as well, not surprised after raising us lot!).

Been treated with steroids to try to reduce its size, but last week she went back into hospital and had another scan. Tumour has increased a fair bit.
She’s really not in a good place and not really eating anything.
Net result is that we had two choices.

Stay in hospital with a glucose drip (where only one of use can visit and only for 10 minutes) and wait for her to pass, probably alone and in surroundings she hates.

Or bring her home where there will be at least one family member with her At all times.

Means no food or drink and no IV. The result will be the same, we don’t know if it’s days or weeks, but it won’t be long now I feel.
But regular Macmillan nurse visits and nurse on call for pain relief when needed.

So I’m going to see her this afternoon, for what may well be the last time alive.

She’s conscious except after an evening morphine jab if she needs it, but isn’t talking (pressure on her brain gives her mild stroke like symptoms).
Can still nod and hold hands so communication is just a bit different to normal.

Anyway, don’t know where I’m going with this but thought I’d put something down.

Death comes to all of us but it’s no easier even though we’ve been prepared for it...

Check http://tinyurl.com/brakebible
Here for How to change your Brake Pads, Disks, EPB Shoes Adjust, removal, cleaning & fitting Guide.

IID Pro Multivehicle. D3, D4, RRSport pre and post 2010, FFRR.
Gearbox Transmission Flushes and much more

Disco3Club Chairman

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Post by anglefire » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:10 am

Really sorry to hear about your Mum Ian - It does come to us all in the end.

My Uncle died in the week as it happens, not exactly sure what of, but he did have Parkinson's. But in the care home which as you say was much better than Hospital as he could be visited.

Also as it happens, my Mum is 81 today. Still in good health as far as I can tell. But both her and my Dad could go at anytime in reality as things do seem to go downhill rapidly when things go bad.

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here