Land Rover marketing - could be better

The Bar is open, pop inside to discuss anything non car or club related.
Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Land Rover marketing - could be better

Post by Stu » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:51 am

I was on a car buyer website and it had the 10 worst cars of all time link, so I thought I'd take a look. Here's what I saw:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"

CDS
Secretary
Car Details: Tangerine Machine

Re: Land Rover marketing - could be better

Post by CDS » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:32 am

Seems fairly accurate to me

Imagine a world with no hypothetical situations..........

mzplcg
Forum Contributor
Car Details: BMW 540ix MSport

Post by mzplcg » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:57 pm

Yep, I'd go along with that too. Over priced, trendy, school run buses which are unfit to wear a green oval.

Club FFRR

Basic Machine Polishing guide here
http://www.disco3club.co.uk/gallery/alb ... _Guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Post by Stu » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:10 am

I do think that in time Land Rover may feel that the Discovery Sport and Evoque damage their brand.

To put that into context I have a friend who went from a Merc M class to an Evoque. She commented that it wasn't as nice as the Merc and didn't feel like the quality it should be from a Range Rover. I tried to point out the difference between the Evoque and RRS and FFRR but she just had the brand Range Rover in her head and assumed it was all the same quality etc just the size of the vehicles was the difference. It doesn't help that they all look the same either. Still it must save on development costs when all you have to do is photocopy the plans but just dial in 120% enlargement on the copier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"

mzplcg
Forum Contributor

Post by mzplcg » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:43 am

That's how to make money, scrounge a ride on the back of an already successful brand. I keep telling people that there is only one Range Rover and it's called the Range Rover. There's no such thing as a Range Rover Evoque or Range Rover Sport.

The Range Rover has been in existence since the early 70's and the Evoque and Sport are impostors. They aren't Range Rovers, simple. I mean, how can you take a luxury vehicle which is superbly capable off road as well and make it into a Sports car? That's like saying "Yes, I drive a Routemaster Bus Sport", it's a nonsense. And the e-Poke isn't even much cop off road, it's just a fashion accessory and with a 2WD option it's no more than costume jewellery.

Same thing with Discovery, the brand which saved Land Rover. In between the Defender and Range Rover it was a sensible halfway house when it was released, but a sports car it was definitely not. Not now, not back then, never. So who one earth came up with a D-Sport?

I'm kind of surprised that the last of the Defenders weren't called 'Sport' to be honest. How about the 90 being the Sport and the 110 being the Full-Fat Defender? Maybe LR missed a trick.

Land Rover, whilst riding the crest of a wave right now, have both lost their way and alienated the core customer base with these half baked ideas. I love the brand, always have without question but I can't begin to imagine a set of circumstances which would make me squirt 60 clap at an Evoque Autobiography. Not even one with a drop top. God alone knows who comes up with these ideas, or the pricing structure but it will come off the rails at some point.

The FFRR is the motoring equivalent of a Diamond. The Sport would be a CZ and the Evoque just paste. I'm not sure about anyone else but having a CZ in the Wife's engagement ring would bother me constantly.

Think about it. Over 60 grand for a Evoque AB. So what else might one buy for that kind of money? How about the Jag F-Pace? 60k buys you the supercharged one. Still prefer a 2.0 log burner in a smaller car with no rearward vision? How about the BMW X5? Same deal, 60k buys all except the M version. Bigger, more powerful, excellent road manners, just vastly superior, oh and with BMW resale values as well.

And what does the RRS say? How about "I couldn't quite afford the proper Range Rover, but if I'd worked harder at school I might have done". Again, ridiculously priced with the most basic one coming in over 60k. Cramped inside, especially with the arms on the front seats. No feeling of the comfort and effortless ride the FFRR gives, it's just a larger version of the Evoque. Loads of road noise and a general feeling of it being low rent.

Club FFRR

http://www.disco3club.co.uk/gallery/alb ... _Guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

alfamale
Elected Club Member
Car Details: MY11 Discovery 4 XS

Post by alfamale » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:08 pm

I'm glad I didn't brew you one of my coffees before you started writing that evaluation.

Have to say I agree wholeheartedly and, having driven a DS, it does make a mockery of this particular brand using the word Sport. I'm surprised nobody in the US has filed a class-action lawsuit against LR for it :lol:

OEM RAI & Ladder, Front Runner Rack, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets!

mzplcg
Forum Contributor

Post by mzplcg » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:38 pm

Ah, your coffee. 'Tis a thing of much flavour, piquance and enough caffeine to make a Sloth start charging at Bulls :lol:

Club FFRR

alfamale
Elected Club Member
Car Details: MY11 Discovery 4 XS

Post by alfamale » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:28 pm

All this talk of sport and guess what I saw in the car park at lunchtime? A 3-dr FL1 with Sport decals emblazoning the sides. It all started in a LR marketing department a long, long time ago!

OEM RAI & Ladder, Front Runner Rack, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets!

countrywide

Post by countrywide » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:23 pm

I would disagree on the Range Rover Sport, the current model is very comfortable and rides well. It would be my preferred choice between the D4, FFRR and RRS. Having driven all both on and off road, the RRS has the best handling combination of the three.

The one that stands out as mad is the Evoque price wise.

mzplcg
Forum Contributor

Post by mzplcg » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:34 pm

It's still not a Range Rover though. Never will be. Anyway, I'm off to crayon a picture; I think I'll call it the Mona Lisa Sport.

Club FFRR