Front Bumper Aerial Mount

Projects and discussions on ‘how to’ and your Discovery 3 and 4
anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Front Bumper Aerial Mount

Post by anglefire » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:44 pm

I've had a couple of emails from Alan in Australia (contacted via the link in my Intercooler replacement guide :thumbright: ) regarding a aerial mount for his 2006 4.0L Disco 3 and he has given me permission to publish the design here. (I've edited the text a little to make it make sense as a description)

I had thought about the roof rail mount however my antenna would need to be very short as my Disco with roof racks on only just clears my garage door. I know the location is not ideal but it will allow easy access to unscrew the antenna to prevent theft and I know what happens if you forget to remove it prior to entering the garage! I can probably purchase an antenna that will be tall enough to be above the roof line but not be too tall to scrape my garage door. It will also let me know when I'm close to a wall etc when parking and maybe a height guide when entering an underground car park etc.

The 'blank' is 3mm x 40mm x 100 aluminium, the two parallel section are each 40mm long, the angle is 45 degrees, the hole in the slope is 10mm dia and it's center is 45mm from the end with the mounting holes; both 6.5mm dia, 20mm from the end and 24mm apart. The antenna hole is 12.5mm dia. After taping to the front for checking, I raised the antenna end up 2 degrees to make it level (checked with the iPhone app). Drill ALL holes prior to bending. Once the grill is in place you don't notice the screw heads unless you are looking for them.

If anyone would like a detailed sketch of the bracket then let me know and Alan will draw one up.
IMG_1888.jpg
IMG_1892.JPG
IMG_1891.jpg

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

Bodsy
Chairman
Winner: Technical Post 2012, 2013
Comedian of the Year 2014
Car Details: 2007 HSE

Re: Front Bumper Aerial Mount

Post by Bodsy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:51 pm

Nice, don't forget to run an earth strap. :thumbright:

Check http://tinyurl.com/brakebible
Here for How to change your Brake Pads, Disks, EPB Shoes Adjust, removal, cleaning & fitting Guide.

IID Pro Multivehicle. D3, D4, RRSport pre and post 2010, FFRR.
Gearbox Transmission Flushes and much more

Disco3Club Chairman

PhilHunt
Forum Contributor

Re: Front Bumper Aerial Mount

Post by PhilHunt » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:26 pm

Looks a tidy and inexpensive solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Endeavour' - Discovery 3 SE - sadly now gone but to a good loving home