Sarn Helen

All previous event threads are placed in here.
moose
Forum Contributor
Car Details: It's Sporty

Sarn Helen

Post by moose » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:28 pm

Received this today via email - I do not know the writer so check it out first I guess.

Sarn Helen - Hirfynydd. (South Wales)
(Neath, Port-Talbot County Borough - Byway 39)

I hope you'll excuse this random contact. It's an informative email which may be of interest to some members of your respective clubs.

Sarn Helen, (Helenas causeway), is ‘jewel’ amongst green-lanes and it's still open, (for nearly 3 months over the summer). At risk of closure due to one of the landowners having great ‘influence’ in Council. This is part of the 2,000 year old road which the Roman empire used to link the Northern & Southern ends of what we now know as Wales.

Having fought to stop this road being lost and having continued fighting to get this road re-opened this year – it’s been disappointing to note that the ‘motorised vehicular user’ element has been slow to return in anticipated numbers.

This road is open for just 3 more weeks. If you haven’t used it so far this year, or if you’ve never driven this route – it’s a must!

Some idea of the terrain and views to be enjoyed along this 7 miles of byway;
http://s942.photobucket.com/albums/ad26 ... Sarn_walk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s942.photobucket.com/albums/ad261/oldenlay/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The road largely follows the ridgeway of Hirfynydd, (which translates as Long Mountain). Views from the ridgeway on a clear day include the Bristol, Channel, Swansea Bay, Brecon Beacons, Black Mountains, etc. On a good day, you can see about 8 counties in Wales & England.
In a climate of progressively constraining TRO's / closures, etc. it's a shame that these 3 months of vehicular access aren't being fully exploited. If you know this road and have enjoyed it in the past – re-acquaint yourselves with it’s charms!
Out of interest, at the Northernmost end of the mountain, there are 3 other byway roads which run across the site, (they originally linked with what is now the Pontneddfechan Parish road). These are also open to traffic.
How to find it:-
Map:
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad26 ... g_Sarn.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(please note this is my attempt at a map and is not to scale – it is generally intended to show the main roads & lanes which lead to Sarn Helen).
Via Neath Valley:
Sat Nav. SA10 8HH – this will take you along Ynysgerwyn Avenue, past a few industrial units, (look for Groundhog on your left).
From the M4;
ABERDULAIS entrance, (South to North).
M4 – Junction 43. (Signed Neath / Merthyr Tydfil)
Take A465 North for approximately 4 miles.
Look for slip on left signed Aberdulais / Crynant, (A4109).
Drive up onto the intersection roundabout above the A465.
Miss first exit, (Cadoxton / Cilfrew)
Miss second exit, (housing estate)
Take 3rd exit, (A4109), signed Aberdulais / Crynant, Seven-Sisters, etc.
Continue for approximately ¾ of a mile, (you will have passed the National Trusts Aberdulais falls site on your left). Look for a right hand turn onto the B4242.
Take this turn right, you will pass some housing and a few commercial units on your left, there is a grassed ‘banana island’ in the centre of the road.
Once past this banana island, continue along for about 200 yards keeping a careful look-out for the entranceway in the foliage to the left. This is well hidden and easy to miss, especially travelling from this direction. This ‘entrance’ takes the form of a tree-tunnel in through the foliage.
Still on the B4242, if you have come to an entranceway on your right which turns into a driveway for 2 detatched houses* then you’ve gone too far.
(*one of these is the Constituency home of Peter Hain MP).
Photos of this entrance:
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad26 ... lais-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad26 ... lais-2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad26 ... lais-3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad26 ... lais-4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad26 ... lais-5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
North to South, (recommended);
Sat Nav. SA10 9LN – this will take you to Roman Road. Just drive up it onto the mountain.
From Rhondda / Cynon Valley, etc;
A465 South / West-bound. Take turn off for Glynneath. Go straight ahead at traffic lights and follow the A4109, (inter-valley road), up. After approximately 2 miles the ‘Dove workshop / Banwen’ is signed to the left.
Turn left and drive straight ahead. Roman Road is one straight row of terraced houses. The road continues past these houses as Byway 39.
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad26 ... Road-2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad26 ... Road-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad26 ... Road-3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From the M4;
Via Swansea Valley:
M4 – Junction 45.
Follow the A4067 all the way up the valley as far as Abercrave.
Passing Pontardawe, Ystylafera & Ystradgynlais. Drive through Caerbont and look for signposing on your left for Abercrave, (DON’T turn left!) Just after this junction, turn right onto the A4221.
After approximately a mile you will drive past signs for Coelbren on your left. After approximately another mile you will see the ‘Dove workshop / Banwen’ signed to your right.
Turn right and drive straight ahead. Roman Road is one straight row of terraced houses. The road continues past these houses as Byway 39.
From Brecon / Llandovery, etc.
Follow the A4067 South as far as Abercrave.
Approximately 1 mile after Penycae, Abercrave is signed to your right, (DON’T turn right!) Just after this junction, turn left onto the A4221.
After approximately a mile you will drive past signs for Coelbren on your left. After approximately another mile you will see the ‘Dove workshop / Banwen’ signed to your right.
Turn right and drive straight ahead. Roman Road is one straight row of terraced houses. The road continues past these houses as Byway 39.
R.O.W.A.N. has been fighting hard to prevent this amenity from being stolen from the community. It’s been an uphill struggle and is ongoing. This section of road is under great scrutiny and ‘misbehaviour’ only provides the landowners ‘friends in Council’ with the excuse that they need to further restrict vehicular access. So, please don’t give them any more excuses.

Please;
Stay on the road: If you wander off onto the private tracks or into the forestry or surrounding fields you are liable to get a s59 notice, (your vehicle may be seized if there are future infringements), you may be fined, receive points on your licence, etc. This area is policed by RAFT, (the Rural and Forestry Team). The local Police Sergeant, is a RAFT member, he seems to be generally sympathetic to our overall aims and has been taking a hard-line with one of the landowners over their intimidation of the public but if you’re being naughty on the mountain and he catches you – don’t expect preferential treatment!

Remember it IS a REAL PUBLIC road: Legally you are ‘on-road’ (even if it FEELS like ‘off-road’). You can be charged with numerous motoring offences such as speeding, reckless driving, dangerous driving, etc. If you are there to enjoy a ‘green-laning’ type of experience then you will find few better places to be. If you’re there to tear around or create a muddy pit so that you can try out your winch – then you risk your licence. There are plenty of proper off-road sites where you can try this extreme form of 4x4 sport.

Respect other rights of way users: You may encounter equestrians and cyclists. You will, almost certainly, encounter walkers. OK, it’s a road but please behave courteously to other users of this highway. If they see 4x4 drivers or scrambler-riders causing damage, behaving aggressively to other road users, driving recklessly, aggressively, etc. The offenders are highly likely to be photographed and reported. It also helps them to advance their argument to exclude motorised user altogether.

Club Activities: One of the ‘sticks’ we’re using against one of the landowners with is the apparently unlawful status of the motorsports they have been holding on site that the Sarn Helen runs through. This is a 2 edged argument inasmuch as club activities such as ‘off-road runs’ may need to look at whether they require any of the permissions we’re quoting, (such as land-owners permission / local authority permission, MSA authorisation, etc.) The safest way of sorting out a ‘run’ is probably just to make it an event where a few friends get together. If it’s on a club website, if there are charges / fees involved, if you’re using club insurance cover, if you’re using public roads, (which include Byways), then you risk being seen to have organised a motor sports event unlawfully on a public road.

There have been ongoing issues over many years with intimidation, unlawful blockades, etc. We advise that you carry a camera and use it if challenged.

If you have any queries and want to ask about the specific whereabouts of the byways, your rights on the byways etc. email this email address, (don’t hold your breath waiting for a reply though as it’s usually only checked weekly), or call in at 61 Roman Road and ask for Brian or Chris.
or Phone 01639 700128, (evenings are best)

Other than that …
Enjoy!
Chris Williams
Secretary
R.O.W.A.N.

(Rights Of Way Alliance Neath)
Dedicated to protecting the amenity of ALL public Rights Of Way on

Hîrfynydd Mountain for EVERYONE to enjoy.

'Moonlighting from another world'
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. :moose:

Bodsy
Chairman
Winner: Technical Post 2012, 2013
Comedian of the Year 2014
Car Details: 2007 HSE

Re: Sarn Helen

Post by Bodsy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:35 pm

We did a very small section of Sarn Helen the other week in wales. Would be great to be able to do the whole thing :thumbright:

Check http://tinyurl.com/brakebible
Here for How to change your Brake Pads, Disks, EPB Shoes Adjust, removal, cleaning & fitting Guide.

IID Pro Multivehicle. D3, D4, RRSport pre and post 2010, FFRR.
Gearbox Transmission Flushes and much more

Disco3Club Chairman

benp
Green Lane Rep
Winner: Benner of the year
Car Details: D3

Post by benp » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:41 pm

ok I am up for it when bods :popcorn:

Benner of the year
club dog guard in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out....club the dog is dead but cant change the signature :(
club the D3 is alive!

Hobgoblin
Elected Club Member
Car Details: D4 HSE LUX

Post by Hobgoblin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:24 pm

Don't use it or lose it / use it or lose it :? :evil:

One minute you're being told not to use it for fear of upsetting the antis and giving them more ammunition, the next use it or lose it...WTF :?:

Paul
Club FT
Club CPAP
Just an alround Nice Guy

biskit
Forum Contributor
Car Details: 55 D3 silver

Post by biskit » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:27 pm

Can't help in the next few weeks i'm afraid, wish i could, :!: they look really good, keep up the good work Chris.

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Post by anglefire » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:35 pm

After the 19th ish of august I can make week days as I ain't at work until early september, but weekends are more difficult with loads on.

But swmbo also has a list of jobs going. :shock:

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

benp
Green Lane Rep
Winner: Benner of the year
Car Details: D3

Post by benp » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:56 pm

week days not so good for me

Benner of the year
club dog guard in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out....club the dog is dead but cant change the signature :(
club the D3 is alive!

Kingmav66
Forum Contributor
Winner: Modification of the Year 2013
Mechanical Maestro of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Post by Kingmav66 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:21 pm

Mark, I would do the following week but we're away on a canal-boat :headbang:
Is it still open the following week? :?