Rear Discs Question

Calls for help, Problems, Breakdowns, Mechanical & Electrical
Redroof
Forum Contributor

Rear Discs Question

Post by Redroof » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:49 am

Hi all, been lurking for a while, I need to do my discs and pads on my 2016 Landmark soon, and being reasonably handy with a spanner I thought I’d do it myself rather than paying LR an extortionate amount. I do pretty much all the work on my Defender and a fair bit on my 2007 RS4, so competent and confident enough.
I’ve been reading Bodsy’s bible and will have this in hand while I do the job, but I am wondering this:
The car only has 19k on it, do I really need to go through the whole EPB process of readjusting etc? Surely the wear should be minimal as the park brake is only used at standstill? Or am I missing something - is it used for the traction control or HDC?
My thinking is that it is unlikely in 20k miles to be worn that much on the inside of the drum or the shoes to require much adjustment. Therefore can I just remove the old discs and mount the new?
Happy to be corrected, and happy to go through the process if I need to - I’m just asking to be sure!
Cheers
Garry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Re: Rear Discs Question

Post by anglefire » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:03 pm

You only need to do the parking brake if you have disturbed it - i.e. removed the disk - but it really doesn't take long.

And no it's only used for parking and not park of any other systems (Unless you pull the EPB at speed, when it will activate maximum braking force using the normal road brakes until it gets to an almost standstill when it applies the parking brake.)

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

Redroof
Forum Contributor

Post by Redroof » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:39 am

Thanks angelfire. As it turns out she has started a bit of a squeal when reversing out of the drive so I’ll be making the adjustment regardless of the theories in my head!
One other question, on a lot of the net instructions it says to change the sensors, is that the sensors on the pads (which come as part of the pad) or are they talking about these, https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-SEM500070
Again, just wanting to get my ducks in a row before I start. Once or twice I’ve been caught out and not had everything I need and left the car off the road for a while as I’ve had to wait for parts to arrive. It’s especially annoying as we live in the sticks!
Cheers
Garry

anglefire
Site Admin

Post by anglefire » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:00 pm

There are no sensors on the epb but if the brakes that are serviceable.

So must be the ones on the pads.

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Redroof
Forum Contributor

Post by Redroof » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:42 am

Sorry, I should’ve probably explained that a bit better!
I am changing the discs and pads, front and rear, I am wondering about the pad sensors all round.
Looking at the new pads there are no leads for the sensors like on other cars, so I am confused about what I have to replace.
The sensors in the above link weren’t expensive so I’ve bought a set - I am pretty sure everything will become apparent when I start, and I’m now sure I’ve got all I need. Will probably be going for it the week after next!
Cheers

anglefire
Site Admin

Post by anglefire » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:17 pm

The sensor leads clip in the pads - it should be obvious when you take the old ones out - assuming they are fitted.
Don’t forget there are only 2 sensors - offside rear and near side front.

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Globetrotter
Forum Contributor
Car Details: Discovery 3

Post by Globetrotter » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:30 am

Are you hard on brakes or are you just changing them, as 18k seems a short mileage

Redroof
Forum Contributor

Post by Redroof » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:34 am

Sorry for the late reply, been away on a course for work.
In answer to Globetrotter’s question, I live rurally where there are loads of busy single track roads, hilly and windy so I am guessing I may be quite hard on the brakes.
The job is now done, I managed to get away with only changing one of the sensors which means I have 3 spares because I didn’t read anywhere about there only being two, until I read the above this morning! This is completely my fault for skim reading!
The pads were in pretty good shape but the discs were scored and had a huge lip, which I found a bit strange, but again probably down to the use the car gets, lots of standstill.
I answered my own question as I thought I would. The shoes did need wound back due to a surprisingly large lip on the drum surface. Setting them up with the instructions was a bit hit and miss, the hand brake wouldn’t hold the vehicle on a hill at first but after some trial and error I got it.
I also found some discrepancies in bolt sizes in comparison to the Bible, which I guess is because mine is a later model. Luckily I have a mechanic friend who was able to help out with a 36mm socket for the hub nut and a 1/2” drive 21mm socket when I sheared the reducer for my 3/8” drive due to the huge torque on the calliper bolts!
All done and bedding in well!
Cheers
Garry

anglefire
Site Admin

Post by anglefire » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:53 pm

Front drive shaft hub nuts are a different size on the later models - but the earlier drive shafts are no longer available from LR at least so the later type are fitted and it may be that they have been changed.

The later type are better than the earlier ones 👍

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
Skoda Enyaq IV 80