Common Fault or Old Problem ?????

Calls for help, Problems, Breakdowns, Mechanical & Electrical
Dan
Forum Contributor
Car Details: Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE

Common Fault or Old Problem ?????

Post by Dan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:13 pm

I'm having the same problem as quite a few other members(garbo500/haroldc/morseman2003 and more)
Discovery 3 2007 TDV6 diesel auto.

It is intermittent until it does occur, then it does it several times in a row;
"Bing" and the 'D' on the dash turns into a big 'F' - then a list of faults;-
"Transmission Fault"
"Limited gears available"
"Park Brake Fault"
"Limited Gears Available"
sometimes the suspension light and the stability control light come on, not always and
"Suspension Lowered" appears and the car slows with no power and lowers down to access height.
When I switch off all the faults are listed on the dash and then it finally shuts down. Leave it for a minute or two and start it up and the fault seems to clear . . . . . . . for a while!
Have read lots on forums with several different solutions but being a new owner and new to the club I have no idea whether thats a common result of a combination of faults or the usual result from one specific fault.
I've read about low battery causing it, High speed fuel pump causing it (being fixed by LR as it was subject of a recall). I have spoken to LR dealer who are checking the recall for my registration.Chassis starts with the relevant code SALLAAA138A . . . . . . . . . . .
The RAC chap who flat bedded us home from Devon, who tried to resolve my problem 'roadside', said he heard a noise as I turned the key. He crawled underneath and said it may be the rear diff actuator - as it was making a squeal as I turned the key and the System check was taking place, before starting.
So far the reliable guy I ask to service it says the Scanner doesn't show any specific fault and he's tried a few things to fix it but it runs fine for a while then comes back!

Have I got to take it to a main dealer (argh!!) or does someone recognise this sequence of faults and know ( or have a good idea) about the problem, or am I just being optimistic and there is no single fault but any amount of possibilities???

I love my D3 and have spent a fair few ££££ trying to keep it fit and healthy but this time I'm wondering if it's been worth it??
Please help if you can I'd love to keep it !!

Thanks.

ps - great site and loads of info & knowledge - just keeping my fingers crossed.....
cheers.
Dan

PillowSmuggler
Committee Member
Winner: Avatar of the Year 2012
Comedian of the Year 2013
Mechanic of the Year 2014
Clube Member of the Year 2014
Car Details: Disco3 TDV6 HSE 2007

Re: Common Fault or Old Problem ?????

Post by PillowSmuggler » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:14 am

Hi Dan,

Sorry your first post has to be about big problems :(

The symptoms you describe are common I'm afraid, but just because your car has had a cascade failure. One of the cars ECUs has had a fault, and so has stepped out of the game. By doing this it's now not providing data another ECU requires in order to do its job, and so that too steps out for a quick pint behind the fan cowling. This cascade continues with ECUs shutting down left right and centre until you're stuck in 2nd gear, fully unlocked torque converter and barely enough power available to get onto the hard shoulder.
The minor details can vary, but the end result is what we sometimes call the Christmas Tree 'cos the dash looks so pretty all lit up :(

The cause is trickier to determine, as amongst all those failures there was a definite 'first' failure that started the cascade. Finding that first cause is the trick, as the other faults are almost certainly due to that single failure.

It is unusual to get no codes during one of these events; can you confirm which equipment your trusted mechanic is using? These cars require a special type of OBD2 reader that can access all the ECUs and also include an extended error code that can help define why something went wrong.

You definitely need those codes read with such a reader, but it doesn't have to be a dealer.
Many on here have GAP IID readers that will happily fully read other peoples cars without worrying about VIN codes, and I believe there are other alternatives that also do so, so if you let us know where you are based someone may be close enough to assist to get that info.
We also have a handful of members who may offer their excellent services professionally if you feel the need.

Regards, Dom.
2007 HSE Auto TDV6
Snorkel, Cyclonic air filter, GNVP Rock Sliders
78Ah Aux, Split charge, FBH Timer/Remote, Mantec sump plate
LED: Strobes, interior, camping, brake, running, sides
New Oil Pump, using 2SO at 1:400.

Dan
Forum Contributor

Post by Dan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:56 pm

Thanks Dom,
still sounds a bit daunting :shock: :cry: !
I'm between Gatwick and Brighton, little village called Bolney. (Used to have several different car-meets there during the year, at The Bolney Stage Pub, still do a Ferrari one I think.)
How do I send out a plea for help to other members who might be nearby?
Thanks for your intro and advice so far, much appreciated.
Maybe it's not all Doom & Gloom!
Thanks,
Dan.

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Post by anglefire » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:09 am

Dan,

There is no real way - just have to reply on someone seeing your post. I think there is a chap called Geoff. in your neck of the woods - but not 100% sure where he covers. I don't think he looks in on here, but he does on the Disco3 forum - http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/member-geoff.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Post by Stu » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:43 pm

Bodsy may be able to help but depends on when he is in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"

Dan
Forum Contributor

Post by Dan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks Stu can I PM him?

Is it a 'Coleman" ?