help screens go black mind of own

Calls for help, Problems, Breakdowns, Mechanical & Electrical
shazzy
Forum Contributor
Car Details: Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE

help screens go black mind of own

Post by shazzy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:25 am

Hi all i need someone in oldham area 1st sat nav and radio froze had to pull fuses to send sleep had diagnostics etc
Then it worked fine for weeks now its upped its game screens go black turn off then on again only stay on few seconds getting me wound up up yet clock keeps time? If cd playing pick up where it left off too much to write on here would like speak someone to explain plus hear a click then it comes on all works brill when on how odd

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Re: help screens go black mind of own

Post by anglefire » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:31 pm

CDS is in your area and might be able to look. (sorry Clive :rasp: )

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

CDS
Secretary
Car Details: Tangerine Machine

Post by CDS » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:48 pm

Yep, have offered to read fault coeds before :thumbright:
I haven't had chance to reply to PM, but my reply was going to be to post up on the forum really as it all sounds like a weird set of faults causing a larger problem..... :o
Maybe if we can arrange to meet to read the faults then the collective maybe able to shed some light on things??

Imagine a world with no hypothetical situations..........

shazzy
Forum Contributor

Post by shazzy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:27 pm

thanks will need you contact me cds please
1st sat nav n radio froze ? no sound no buttons worked. or it all came on with sound and buttons wouldn't work either from knobs or on steering wheel. then all worked as should but wouldn't turn off or go to sleep.(had to pull fuse)
I had diagnostics done and hard reset when collected from garage damn thing did it again (it had been fine all day they said)
pulled fuse when got home told to observe over weekend.
put fuse back 27 nov all been working well as it should till 7th jan
new thing screens came on then went off black
clock keeps its time? cds don't move I hear a click passenger side? if I press knob all comes on and works as should few mins
Now its on n off a lot more few seconds only
noticed also its not come on when unlock or put ignition on sometimes??? a mind of its own I have video of what its doing all the things so frustrated just want it put right

PillowSmuggler
Committee Member
Winner: Avatar of the Year 2012
Comedian of the Year 2013
Mechanic of the Year 2014
Clube Member of the Year 2014
Car Details: Disco3 TDV6 HSE 2007

Post by PillowSmuggler » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:59 pm

Many 'ghost in the machine' problems can be caused by corroded earth terminals - there's a cluster to the left of the passengers feet under the bonnet release and another to the right of the drivers feet, both of which can become wet by either a loose/badly fitted windscreen side trim (The A pillar trim), or by a dislodged/damaged/blocked sunroof drain (if you have a sunroof).
Sometimes everything can be very wet down there, but the thick carpet and foot-mats kind of hides it. Might be worth a quick investigate down there.

Regards, Dom.
2007 HSE Auto TDV6
Snorkel, Cyclonic air filter, GNVP Rock Sliders
78Ah Aux, Split charge, FBH Timer/Remote, Mantec sump plate
LED: Strobes, interior, camping, brake, running, sides
New Oil Pump, using 2SO at 1:400.

Kingmav66
Forum Contributor
Winner: Modification of the Year 2013
Mechanical Maestro of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Post by Kingmav66 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:26 pm

A friend has had a similar(ish) problem. It was eventually tracked down to a dry-joint on the back of the touch screen :thumbright:

shazzy
Forum Contributor

Post by shazzy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:07 pm

I will look passinger side allready looked drivers side no wet or owt there will look where else you sed too yes have sunroofs u cud be right all seam to start after lot of damp driving rain it all started with screens freezing no sound etc then seam to go right on its own
But now doesnt allways come on when unlock or start car but will sometimes boots up as should radio phone all work well then goes off black screens i hear a click from passinger side where fuses are then it all turns on again for few mins cd doesn't re shuffle clock keeps time

shazzy
Forum Contributor

Post by shazzy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:45 pm

To try explain more.
1st screen stuck landrover logo radio just showing clock no sound no buttons worked Frozen
2nd screen went to agree radio just clock no sound pressed button radio channel showed up still no sound then wouldn't turn off Froze
3rd screen agree sign radio on with sound but wouldn't turn up or diwn or turn off Froze
Each of these it seamed to pick one of them to torment me i had to pull fuse 53 to send it to sleep
Then it stopped work fine as should from 27th nov till 7th jan
Now got this black screens issue pleases its self stays on couple of mins only its increasing length of time off also the click i hear before it comes on or will turn on is from passinger side sounds like relay click? When its on connects to phone n works as should. Oh and park senors playing up too now? Coincidence maybe I hope this is a bit clearer. Thank you all for reading

shazzy
Forum Contributor

Post by shazzy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:50 pm

Question? To check if drain holes from the 3 sunroofs are ok? Can i put water mixed with food colouring down them? So can see if any leaks into car? Will then show where water is getting in if it is? Hubby going check passingers footwell wiring on sat to see if wet drivers side ok dry .would stained water do any harm

PillowSmuggler
Committee Member
Winner: Avatar of the Year 2012
Comedian of the Year 2013
Mechanic of the Year 2014
Clube Member of the Year 2014
Car Details: Disco3 TDV6 HSE 2007

Post by PillowSmuggler » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:42 pm

Thankfully there's only the one to check; only the front sunroof has drains as it's the only one that opens.
I'd suggest not using food dye, as if it's leaking at the top ends it'll stain the internal trim; not a good look!

You can buy cheap syringes off ebay or even from large chemists. If from a chemist I usually ask them to keep the nasty sharp bit in case I stab myself with it :whistle: Find a straw from a juice drink carton that's the right size for the syringe nozzle, fill the syringe with water and inject it down one sunroof hole at a time (one in each corner).
Front drains will dribble out the rear edge of the front wheel wells, can't remember where the back ones pop out, I'll see if I can find the how-to posts on cleaning the drains out. If the water doesn't dribble out, but instead squirts back out, the tube is blocked, and requires a very gentle rodding with net curtain hanging wire (that springy white stuff) which is just right for the job.
If the water vanishes from the top but doesn't dribble out then you may have an internal break in the pipe that's letting water inside the car. It's only may at this point though, as it might be partly blocked and just takes a long time to drain. Cleaning out all four drains is good preventative maintenance anyway, so even if this is not your issue it'll do you a favour, just don't force the wire or you could push the pipe off the back of the sunroof drain, which could be a world of unnecessary pain in the butt.

The relay clicking is the thing that's puzzling me - Garry, when your friend had their dry joint issue, did the power relay click on and off like Shazzy is reporting?

Regards, Dom.
2007 HSE Auto TDV6
Snorkel, Cyclonic air filter, GNVP Rock Sliders
78Ah Aux, Split charge, FBH Timer/Remote, Mantec sump plate
LED: Strobes, interior, camping, brake, running, sides
New Oil Pump, using 2SO at 1:400.