Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Re: People bypassing content filtering

Post by Stu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:07 pm

I think we are a family friendly club, not sure that has to translate to the website.

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"

xtc
Forum Contributor
Car Details: D4

Post by xtc » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Agree Stu, we are talking about the website, not events.. I'm sure none of us would run around swearing at a club event, unless you parked on my foot! But a bit of banter is fun on here..

Off Roading is OK.... But I'd rather be Boating!

Bigcarpchaser
Club Supporter
Car Details: BMW 320CC Msport +

Post by Bigcarpchaser » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:43 pm

I think most parents would be pretty shocked at what kids write to each other via text etc.
Personally speaking I've not seen anything I've found offensive on any forum I visit regulatory.
I know a lot of women who could out swear most blokes!!
I actually find what I hear on tv and radio to be more irritating.
Leave as is :whistle:

http://www.gnvehicleprotection.co.uk
Rock Sliders, Sump Guards, Rear Access Ladders, Exhaust Bungs all for the Discovery 3

ruggedpeak
Forum Contributor
Car Details: D3 XS

Post by ruggedpeak » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:29 pm

As someone who swears too much in real life :oops: I don't think we should have anything formal, and I agree this is not a site that is high on teenage or indeed young kids' web browsing choices. They have access to far, far worse on social media and I doubt playgrounds, those hotbeds of swearing and violence and more, have improved since I were a kid.

I think the biggest risk is of perception and reputation. We have IMHO a good rep as a family and people friendly club, and I would hope we can all exercise some self control online and not leave a trail of obscenity that suggests we are landyzone! I agree with Bods that choice of obscenity is important, and in online fora I do not mind a bit of bu66er action but feel 4 letter words starting with c and ending in t should never appear. I would point out my preferences in obscenity do not necessarily reflect my other preferences :?

So, the website reflects the club to the outside world and our behaviour on it will be taken as how we are as a club :thumbright:

Tony
56 D3 XS

CDS
Secretary
Car Details: Tangerine Machine

Post by CDS » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:59 pm

I think it's fine as it is, but wouldn't be bothered if the leeted words get filtered as well. We've all had the kids with us when people in the street have sworn etc and you can easily explain that it's not appropriate for them to use such language. My issue has only ever been the odd pic that has been posted for its humour value which is family friendly, but you couldn't filter that out and the kids will probably find worse on YouTube on their own, despite me having a content filter on the home router. If they want to bypass it then they could just use 3G. It's about educating the kids rather than wrapping them in cotton wool. Just MHO, not necessarily going to fit in with others opinions though. :-)

Imagine a world with no hypothetical situations..........

Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Post by Stu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:10 pm

I think my view is that content filtering isn't about kids seeing it but about how the club is seen. If we leave as is, should we then also lift the filtering on other words etc?

I'm just being devils advocate here but if it is ok to write p1 55 then why not the actual word or do we feel that p1 55 is slightly less offensive? Does it then lead to more personal abuse?

I think this is one thing that it will be impossible to reach agreement on, but keen I'm keen to get an understanding of.

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"

mzplcg
Forum Contributor
Car Details: BMW 540ix MSport

Post by mzplcg » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:19 pm

OK, something fairly basic which a lot seem to be missing. Offence is TAKEN, not GIVEN. What some find acceptable others do not.

The most pertinent question is probably "How do the Disco3 Club wish to be perceived from the image portrayed by the website and forum?"

I can swear with the best of them but actually, when I think about it, I would not want total strangers to perceive me as being a foul mouthed yob. Some might not care about such things, and anyone who frequents LandyZone will know what I'm talking about there. I use that place for information occasionally but there is a large percentage of the membership who I would not want to be associated with. They are the original foul mouthed yobbos and I think it would be a shame for this club to sink to that level.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't think we should set our standards for the club and website at the lowest common denominator on the basis of it being accepted elsewhere.

Club FFRR

Basic Machine Polishing guide here
http://www.disco3club.co.uk/gallery/alb ... _Guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CDS
Secretary
Car Details: Tangerine Machine

Post by CDS » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Thinking about it..... I never swear on Facebook as I see it as 100% public (which I know it isn't in reality) but plenty of 'friends' do. I don't get offended, whereas on here I see it as a chat down the pub, where if I want to swear I need to reduce the volume of my voice incase kids happen to over hear me, maybe that's what is happening when people change the letters to numbers, it's perceived as OK because it's 'quieter' or rather more subtle????

Imagine a world with no hypothetical situations..........

ken
Club Supporter

Post by ken » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:46 pm

Think you need to bring the mod of mods the one and only DG :shock:

Go on now let's watch the swearometer :lol:

Assailant extricated

benp
Green Lane Rep
Winner: Benner of the year
Car Details: D3

Post by benp » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:50 pm

really tempted to answer bo11oks to that Ken :shark:

Benner of the year
club dog guard in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out....club the dog is dead but cant change the signature :(
club the D3 is alive!