Car Broken Into - Weirdness, need IID advice.

The Bar is open, pop inside to discuss anything non car or club related.
PillowSmuggler
Committee Member
Winner: Avatar of the Year 2012
Comedian of the Year 2013
Mechanic of the Year 2014
Clube Member of the Year 2014
Car Details: Disco3 TDV6 HSE 2007

Car Broken Into - Weirdness, need IID advice.

Post by PillowSmuggler » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:26 pm

Got out to the car this morning to find it slightly more skip like inside than usual, with a-pillar trims ripped off and wires everywhere.

Review of CCTV shows he got in at 0130 and worked systematically around the inside with torch for a full 20 minutes. CCTV also shows car did not lock when the key pressed when I last drove it - possible jammer used and I missed the fact it didn't go clunk and lock :angry1:

Usually the opportunist scrote is in and out in seconds, so 20 mins inside with the doors closed was odd enough behaviour for SOCO to attend - sadly gloves were used so no clues.

Almost everything in the car was systematically searched, but only a few items were taken. Failed attempts were made to remove my rear view video screen, and the headrest monitors (all the wires partly ripped out), but otherwise he got my broken Blackview, a knackered iPod with a faulty hard drive that only plays Mary Poppins or Bedknobs and Broomsticks and won't accept any further file updates, various sunglasses, PMR, a gas turbo lighter, a USB charger and misc other small bits and bobs...in the scheme of things I seem to have got off lighter than he did, right?

After 20 minutes of methodical searching by a scrote in gloves using a torch that may have used a keyfob jammer I'm too cynical to believe that.

Anyone know how I can use the IID to check how many keys have been assigned to the car please?

Regards, Dom.
2007 HSE Auto TDV6
Snorkel, Cyclonic air filter, GNVP Rock Sliders
78Ah Aux, Split charge, FBH Timer/Remote, Mantec sump plate
LED: Strobes, interior, camping, brake, running, sides
New Oil Pump, using 2SO at 1:400.

Bodsy
Chairman
Winner: Technical Post 2012, 2013
Comedian of the Year 2014
Car Details: 2007 HSE

Re: Car Broken Into - Weirdness, need IID advice.

Post by Bodsy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:46 pm

Yes, I think so.
certainly can with D4,
You can just program all your existing keys and it will remove any other keys that are programmed to it. If they're not present, they'll be wiped off.

Then put a hidden switch for the 12v power to obd port.

Check http://tinyurl.com/brakebible
Here for How to change your Brake Pads, Disks, EPB Shoes Adjust, removal, cleaning & fitting Guide.

IID Pro Multivehicle. D3, D4, RRSport pre and post 2010, FFRR.
Gearbox Transmission Flushes and much more

Disco3Club Chairman

Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Post by Stu » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:39 pm

Wow Dom that's unhappy news, although you sound far more chilled about it than I think I would. The point about keys makes a lot of sense. I hope your insurance coughs up, assuming it's worth claiming? I'll keep my eye on eBay for a bednobs and broomsticks special edition ipod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"

PillowSmuggler
Committee Member

Post by PillowSmuggler » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:56 pm

Easy to be chill about something you have no control over; getting steamed won't change a single thing! This was obviously a real pro in some respects; last time my car was robbed it was a bombsite of broken glass and tipped out stuff everywhere. This guy found the open door, walked away to put his gloves on just off camera, then emptied, searched and refilled everything from fridge to rear storage boxes. If the a-pillar trim hadn't been ripped off and a couple of parking turtle colouring sheets weren't on the floor I could have honestly missed anyone had been in it until the missing items became apparent.

I've now added a second tracker, and it'd take someone days to find this one! Thank heaven the latest GPS can track through steel sheet.

My phone kept force closing when running the GAP IID software, so I was unable to check if a key count was available; I'll try it hardwired through my laptop tomorrow (if it's still on the drive by then).

I must confess it tickles me that someone somewhere by now has supported the crime by paying for what are obviously stolen goods, only to find that the ipod has absolutely zero banging tunes on it and the Blackview just burns out any SD card fitted to it in a couple of days and as the power plug has melted, if it's unplugged will drop the yellow insulator out and short out the power when plugged in again :lol: :lol: :lol:
On the basis most of the stuff that was taken was scrap, I'll not be bothering my insurer; simply not worth my time.

Regards, Dom.
2007 HSE Auto TDV6

Kingmav66
Forum Contributor
Winner: Modification of the Year 2013
Mechanical Maestro of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Post by Kingmav66 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:19 am

Bad news Dom :( Have you had any work done recently, where they can code a key to it?

PillowSmuggler
Committee Member

Post by PillowSmuggler » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:57 am

Thanks Gaz, no, no work recently - the car was unlocked at the time of the hit, I'm assuming the signal was jammed, but as scrote spent so long in the car with torch and gloves and yet took so little I was cynically thinking he'd had plenty of time to plug in and code a new key...

Regards, Dom.
2007 HSE Auto TDV6

benp
Green Lane Rep
Winner: Benner of the year
Car Details: D3

Post by benp » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:31 pm

god that is annoying hope you get an answer on the coding of the keys

Benner of the year
club dog guard in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out....club the dog is dead but cant change the signature :(
club the D3 is alive!

PillowSmuggler
Committee Member

Post by PillowSmuggler » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:02 pm

IID wouldn't display anything about the existing keys set up, but it did allow me to reset everything back to just the two keys I have. So all is good :thumbright:

Regards, Dom.
2007 HSE Auto TDV6

jamespope
Forum Contributor
Car Details: D3 TDV6 GS A 2008

Post by jamespope » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:34 am

Gutted to hear that Dom. Glad the car wasn't badly damaged but it's still not nice having some :poo: rifling through your stuff. Will be making sure i listen out for the clunk in the future when I lock mine!

PillowSmuggler
Committee Member

Post by PillowSmuggler » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:03 am

Thanks James; I'm actually pretty calm over the whole thing, principally as the guy took very little of any actual worth and was also generally so tidy and considerate! I know from bitter prior experience that it could have been so so much worse :(

I also now know what took him so long. I have a security box in the car. It isn't much but the three digit combination means it's good enough to prevent a quick getaway and unlike most digit locks cannot be opened by inspecting down the sides of the dials.

I always leave the digits on 000. It was on 693...so now I know what took him so long! In a way it's a shame 'cos another 30 or so seconds and he'd have found the box was empty :lol: :lol: :lol:

As to listening to the clunk, it's also worth checking the doors regularly to ensure they are actually locked; I have had lock failures that meant the car thought they were locked but they could still be opened from outside.

That wasn't what happened to me this time, but I do have a suspect for the jammer - there have been a lot of planes around here for joint NATO exercises, and they do keep leaving their high power radar on (which I can hear as a "woodpecker" on my Bluetooth phone headset) and I have found that the car needs several presses to lock when this is happening. I'm now convinced this wasn't jammed by the scrote.

Regards, Dom.
2007 HSE Auto TDV6