Future vehicle rumours

The Bar is open, pop inside to discuss anything non car or club related.
anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Future vehicle rumours

Post by anglefire » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:08 pm

Latest rumour that I heard today from someone that works at Land Rover Solihull is that the defender replacement is to be made in their new factory in Poland and that they are also working on another baby Range Rover.

He also thought the disco sport should have kept the freelander name.

He also said the rear of the D5 (didn't call it that!) is getting a lot of stick.

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

mzplcg
Forum Contributor
Car Details: BMW 540ix MSport

Re: Future vehicle rumours

Post by mzplcg » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:41 pm

Being built in Poland is a good thing I reckon. Couldn't be any worse than Solihull build qualtiy but given the Polish work ethic I think it is likely to be a lot better. That said though, I think the build quality nowadays is fine. No issues with fit and finish but the quality of the components they're using does leave a bit to be desired sometimes. Making them some place else isn't going to change the standard of the components.

New smaller version of the Evoque was rumoured some time back but I've heard nothing more as of now. Not sure how much smaller it could get whilst still remaining usable though. It's already on the Bijou side in there as it is.

He's on the money with the D5 as well. It's that back end which ruins it for me. I actually do quite like the thing but losing the split tailgate was a shocker of a decision. Also it just looks like a huge pouting lower lip from behind. Oh and the corners on that tailgate are a lawsuit waiting to happen. Anyone over 5' 10" needs to be extremely careful. I would say that rules out Bodsy but he'd just clap his head on the towbar :lol:

This was the outcome of a misjudged lean into the boot of a Disco Sport. Not me I hasten to add. Tailgate corner, tall bloke etc.

Club FFRR

Basic Machine Polishing guide here
http://www.disco3club.co.uk/gallery/alb ... _Guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

anglefire
Site Admin

Post by anglefire » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:55 pm

That looks well nasty.

The baby rr was apparently under wraps at Solihull.

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Post by Stu » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:31 pm

Baby RR well known about I thought? Think it's due 2018 or possibly even late this year.

I'd like to see all LR built in the UK as I'd like to support British workers where I can.

Currently having a Disco Sport I'd agree that it should be called a FL3 being called a Disco is an insult to Discovery and Sport is an insult to the RRS as it's quite a bit slower than the Disco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"

anglefire
Site Admin

Post by anglefire » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:50 pm

LR have built factories in Poland and Mexico and have either built one in China or are in the process of doing so.

The i54 engine plant is currently being expanded to double is current size (roughly)

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
Skoda Enyaq IV 80

mzplcg
Forum Contributor

Post by mzplcg » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:06 pm

Bit if it is to be a global brand Stu they have to make them globally. Brazil was a case in point. Locally made + regular goods and low taxes. Imported = luxury goods and taxed to death. In truth Brazil is only a Trim & Final plant. They get painted bodyshells from Halewood and assembled pony packs from Castle Brom. All they do is nail them together and bung some seats in. Slovakia will be a full body-in-white plant though.

You're on the money with D Sport. I have one at present, a 2.0D manual base model. It is just like a similar FL2 and has nothing sporty about it. OK as a vehicle, probably not my bag but OK. However, a sports Utility vehicle is really isn't. That requires spark plugs for a start, nothing diesel can ever be sporty but it also requires the dynamics of a sports car, which again, the D Sport doesn't have. In truth, neither does the RRS unless we're talking about the SVR which I could accept on the basis of it actually being sporty.

But, Freelander (as a name) was deliberately killed off. It's so obvious that LR are now clearly going with 3 "Families" (2 initially), The Range Rover family (FFRR, RRS and E-Poke) and the Discovery family (Discovery and D-Sport). Defender will make the line up into 3 families when it finally arrives.

So, now you understand why I still feel that the RRS and E-Poke are not Range Rovers. In the same way as Discovery Sport isn't a Discovery. But JLR are using the heritage around the names to create families of cars which have no heritage of their own. Freelander never had any really which is why the name was killed off I suspect; not a bad vehicle in itself but never really a Land Rover.

Club FFRR

http://www.disco3club.co.uk/gallery/alb ... _Guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

anglefire
Site Admin

Post by anglefire » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:14 pm

nothing diesel can ever be sporty
I have to take issue with that statement Dom. My 530d is most definitely sporty, both in terms of performance and ride/handling. Sub 6seconds to 62mph and topping out at a limited 155mph is sporty. :lol:

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
Skoda Enyaq IV 80

mzplcg
Forum Contributor

Post by mzplcg » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:06 pm

You know what I mean Mark. Quick yours might be, but the sporty one is the M5.

Club FFRR

anglefire
Site Admin

Post by anglefire » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:23 pm

Actually if you want out and out sporty, its probably the M3.

Actually, looking at the BMW site, the M5 doesn't seem to exist anymore!

But second hand, you can get an M5 for just shy of £60k - and whilst I know 0-60 is not that significant, its only 1.6 seconds to 60 quicker than mine - the good old law of diminishing returns!

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
Skoda Enyaq IV 80

mzplcg
Forum Contributor

Post by mzplcg » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:50 am

But when all is said and done, it's a log burner. Look back through the years though, The Ford Fiesta XR2 was sporty and fun. The Fiesta XRV was a van with the same bodykit and a diesel engine. Not sporty. Poxhaull did similar with the Astra, And so it goes on and on.

The D-Sport. So fit the 3.0 Supercharged petrol, give it a handling kit etc, then it's sporty like the RRS SVR. But with a 2.0 Ingenium diesel?? Even if they fitted the 3.0 SDV6 and gave it more power etc it still has diesel dynamics like limited rev range etc.

How many diesel Astons, Ferraris, Lambos have you seen? Therein lies the evidence.

Club FFRR