SKY Q

The Bar is open, pop inside to discuss anything non car or club related.
Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Re: SKY Q

Post by Stu » Sat May 13, 2017 9:18 am

Well I had Sky Q installed yesterday. Only had it working for a few hours but I think it's really rather good.

We have the Sky Q Silver with 2 small boxes. This supports viewing on up to two small boxes and two apps at the same time as the main box which is ample for us. It also supports recording 4 things at the same time.

I think the interface may have had a few tweaks since I last looked at it but that works well and is better imho that my Sky + was especially as you select your programme and watch it and don't have loads of back up buttons to press.

The system comes with two remotes. They're basically the same except one has a touch sensitive pad on it and uses Bluetooth the other has buttons and is infrared. I found I quickly liked the touchpad and things like the more you move your finger round the pad the faster it fast forwards. I was told that the touch sensitive controllers wouldn't work on the mini boxes, however the engineer who came to install it said that they would work in the near future. Anyway he tested it and they worked so I got 2 additional controllers. Now for me this is a big bonus because our tv in the bedroom sits on the wall with no wires showing. All the wires go through the wall and out of the wall outside the bedroom where there is a small cupboard. The PS3 (which we use a Blueray player) lives in the cupboard and now so does the Sky Q box as both can be controlled via Bluetooth it's a perfect solution and super neat.

I love that you can be watching something and then go and continue watching it on another TV. Tried this with a film last night and it's great.

The apps are great, not tried downloading a recording to my phone yet but will give that a go. I'm interested to know if I can then find a way to get the recording from my phone (or other device) to a TV without having a connection to the main box. Ie I'd like to take my recordings and watch them on the TV in the caravan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"

PhilHunt
Forum Contributor

Post by PhilHunt » Sat May 13, 2017 10:11 am

Same kit as we have Stu. Are you on Sky broadband with the Sky hub or with another ISP and router?

'Endeavour' - Discovery 3 SE - sadly now gone but to a good loving home

Stu
Vice Chairman

Post by Stu » Sat May 13, 2017 9:36 pm

Currently with Sky but only for a few days as I'm moving to virgin. Going from 4mbps to 100! Can't wait.

PhilHunt
Forum Contributor

Post by PhilHunt » Sat May 13, 2017 9:41 pm

Your boxes are currently operating as Wi-Fi hotspots but will cease to do so when your replace your Sky hub with the Virgin Router.

'Endeavour' - Discovery 3 SE - sadly now gone but to a good loving home

Stu
Vice Chairman

Post by Stu » Sat May 13, 2017 10:39 pm

Yes that's right. I'm not concerned though as I have plenty of powerline wifi points in the house, garage and garden. I'm well covered!