Camera advice please

The Bar is open, pop inside to discuss anything non car or club related.
mzplcg
Forum Contributor
Car Details: BMW 540ix MSport

Camera advice please

Post by mzplcg » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Right chaps, some advice please. We're going on holiday over Christmas and New Year to the Dominican republic and I want some decent photos this time.

Now as some know I have a Nikon D300s which takes fantastic photos, it's just too big and cumbersome for holidays. So, what can I get in a compact size?

Ideally I want it to fit in a shirt pocket so no larger than a fag box. But I also want as close to SLR quality as I can get. My first consideration was a Hasselblad Stellar but if anyone knows different I could use some help please.

The Hasselblad. 24MP, Zeiss lens. Large sensor. Nice looking.
http://www.johnlewis.com/hasselblad-ste ... nut%20Grip

Club FFRR

Basic Machine Polishing guide here
http://www.disco3club.co.uk/gallery/alb ... _Guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

benp
Green Lane Rep
Winner: Benner of the year
Car Details: D3

Re: Camera advice please

Post by benp » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:10 pm

dunno ... Clare C has a compact ish camera that seems decent

Benner of the year
club dog guard in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out....club the dog is dead but cant change the signature :(
club the D3 is alive!

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Post by anglefire » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:59 pm

Unless you want the walnut, get this one if you like that one and save yourself a shed load of cash.

http://www.johnlewis.com/sony-cyber-sho ... p231683057" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its the same camera, but over £1k cheaper.

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

GavinB
Elected Club Member
Car Details: D3

Post by GavinB » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:31 am

Don't keep up with compacts look at dpreview.com they have good reviews on there also look at camerapricebuster.co.uk that gives listings of best prices available on line

The Caveman

anglefire
Site Admin

Post by anglefire » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:04 am

I'm not endorsing that particular camera Dom, just that the Sony is the same as the Hassy but cheaper.

I'll have a word with a mate of mine as he does keep abreast of the compacts more than me.

I'm not sure of the actual sensor size, but 20Mp is very big for a compact - Just checked its 1" - which somehow equates to 13.2x8.8mm - so is large for a compact.

You might want to also look at the Canon G1X Mk 2 - a physically larger sensor 1.5" - and also a bit bigger overall. But less Pixies - which is not necessarily a bad thing - my full frame 1Dx is only 18Mp.

DPreview has the two at very similar marks - but as I say, I will ask my mate :thumbright:

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
Skoda Enyaq IV 80

mzplcg
Forum Contributor

Post by mzplcg » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:07 am

I'm properly glad I asked now. From what I can tell only Sony and Canon actually make their own cameras in the compact sector.
Nikon, Fuji and Vivitar would all appear to be made by LG

That Sony is indeed exactly the same unit as the Hasselblad. The time was when the Hasselblad name was worth something, indeed I had one of their medium format film cameras. Now they're just badge engineering stuff. :roll:

I think I'll have to go to London this week and check out CameraWorld & Grays of Westminster. Seem the only place you can try these things now is London, just so few proper photographic shops left anymore sadly.

Thanks Chaps. :thumbright:

Club FFRR

http://www.disco3club.co.uk/gallery/alb ... _Guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

anglefire
Site Admin

Post by anglefire » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:53 am

Got some comments back Dom :thumbright:
Well I would'nt go for for the Stellar, as like you say it is purely an RX100 in a Party Frock.....(and an ugly one at that) . However the RX100 itself is currently the benchmark and comes in three flavours. mk1, mk2 which adds hotshoe, tilt screen and improved sensor albeit same MP count. And the new mk3. The mk3 has a faster lens but shorter zoom range (24-70 equiv as opposed to 28-100 equiv of the mks 1 and 2) but it does have a flip up EVF - a nice touch. It does lose the hotshoe though. Of the three I would pick between the mk2 (improves on the mk1 a lot) or the Mk3 if he does not need as much zoom range and likes the idea of wider angle and EVF. Other cameras? well if he is happy with a single focal length then I would suggest the Ricoh GR. Tiny body, APS-C sensor which is the same superb one that is used in the Pentax K-5/K-5II/K50/Nikon D7000/Leica T/Leica X series etc etc. For pure IQ in a compact body there is little to beat it. Same goes for the Fuji X100s. Body is a bit bigger though but a hugely popular camera for enthusiasts and pros alike. If smaller than a 1" sensor is acceptable, then it is still the good old Panasonic LX7, Fuji X20 and Canon S120 that head the pack. Both you and I know how good the Pano LX5 is, the LX7 just gives you a faster lens and better low light performance. Rumour has it that the LX8 is coming out later in the year with a 1" sensor, to give the RX100 some major competition, but it will probably be out too late for your friend. Finally a couple of interchangable lens cameras that are still pocketable, the Pentax Q7 and Panasonic GM1 The Pentax has a similar sensor to the LX7 in a tiny tiny body which you can have a number of cheap but excellent quality lenses, which again are tiny. The GM1 is the smallest M43 body you can buy. Both provide excellent IQ.
I forgot one more. It has been out a while, but it is well made (brass) great performing, same sensor as the LX7, tilt screen and can be had for less that £250 making it a bargain. The Pentax MX-1 Probably not in the same league IQ wise as the RX100, but not far off, but at half the price as the Sony, it has to be considered. Edit - WEX have it at £219.
Don't rule out the Fuji XE2 as that's discounted a fair bit, might not be absolute pocket sized, but good value travel camera. However I will concede the RX100 in mk2 guise is pretty much the best out there

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Post by Stu » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:39 pm

Dom, I've got a Panasonic Linux, waterproof shockproof thing and it's fantastic. Great photos. Works underwater. No problem with sand. Compact yet has a 5x zoom.

I've been very pleased with it.

You can even remote control it from your iPhone etc including remote view.

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"

mzplcg
Forum Contributor

Post by mzplcg » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:27 pm

Thanks Mark, that's superbly helpful. The RX100 seems to be the kiddie so I reckon I'll try the Mk2 against the Mk3. Not really fussed for the hot shoe although the electronic viewfinder is a nice touch on the Mk3. I think the only doubt is the shorter focal lengths of 70mm against 100mm but how that might affect real world use of a compact I'm not sure.

Very kind of you to dig up all that info though. Much appreciated chap. :thumbright:

Stu, I've done the Lumix thing and also several Coolpix models, a Vivitar (bleedin' terrible thing) and a Cybershot which was so-so. the thing is I'm sick of either wasted money, :censored: photos, unreliable kit, chewing through batteries and so on but the general gripe I have with most of the cheaper compacts is the start-up time. 3 or 4 seconds to turn on and ready itself is more irritating than having a cactus in the underwear. Generally I tend to take the large SLR but this is a bulky thing so although I'll still take it I also want a properly decent compact which will fit in my shirt pocket, starts up in less than a second, is well made and takes great photos. Yeah, and I want the Moon on a stick too :lol:

Cheers. Dom.

Club FFRR

Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Post by Stu » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:08 pm

Been using my Linux today, so had it to hand. I'd say startup is under 1 sec. Probably because there is no lens cover to open or zoom lens to move to its normal position.

I bought it for a stag do, but I think it will be the only camera we take on holiday this year. I might get a second battery but that is about it.

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"