What have you done today.....

The Bar is open, pop inside to discuss anything non car or club related.
anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Re: What have you done today.....

Post by anglefire » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:57 pm

Bought an engine today :shock:

The one in my Spitfire is not 100% - pinks a bit which is either timing or more likely the cheap dizzy being :censored: :lol: - and it has a Rattle when it’s reved. Doesn’t like more than about 3k The 1500 was never a high reving Engine but should do more than that :roll:

My original plan was to get another block, head and crank and rebuild that, but on the Triumph club Facebook someone was selling one that has been rebuilt already - though a few things need at least checking - like oil pump as that wasn’t changed - was in spec but only just. Head has been ported with all the rough casting removed, the carbs rebuilt with different jets to suit the sports exhaust that it also comes with.

But it also meant I bought an engine hoist - 1tonne which drops to 1/4 at full reach, load leveller and a 450kg Engine frame

And it all goes in the garage. Somehow. :shark:

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

DSL
Forum Contributor
Car Details: The old muddy banger

Post by DSL » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:16 am

Plenty of room for car stuff in the living room. :whistle: :whistle:

You subtly hinting that we should have a standby engine in the garage ready to go in when the Disco comes back on the yellow taxi when the big lump up front dies a grizzly death? :lol: :lol:

If only I could think of something useful to type here!! :(

anglefire
Site Admin

Post by anglefire » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:21 am

Well that’s one way of looking at it. But the cost of a D3 engine is around £4K from a dealer.

My spit engine was £500 plus £200 for the complete exhaust. (Almost new and £600 on its own) need to spend another £200 or so on Bits I recon and good to go in.

Haynes recon it’s 3 hours to get the engine out - which I think is about right. So can be swapped in a weekend including tidying up the engine bay :thumbright:

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
Skoda Enyaq IV 80

PillowSmuggler
Committee Member
Winner: Avatar of the Year 2012
Comedian of the Year 2013
Mechanic of the Year 2014
Clube Member of the Year 2014
Car Details: Disco3 TDV6 HSE 2007

Post by PillowSmuggler » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:47 am

Not quite today, but last Saturday I drove the new D5 at Eastnor. It was supposed to be Jane's driver experience day but I was also invited to drive.
Jane was utterly awesome around the course, and in fairness was much better than me :mrgreen:

I still hate the last 18" of the car with a passion, but wow does the rest of the car try and make up for it.
Very impressed with the cars handling and abilities, and if I won the lottery it would now be the first thing I bought...

Regards, Dom.
2007 HSE Auto TDV6
Snorkel, Cyclonic air filter, GNVP Rock Sliders
78Ah Aux, Split charge, FBH Timer/Remote, Mantec sump plate
LED: Strobes, interior, camping, brake, running, sides
New Oil Pump, using 2SO at 1:400.

DSL
Forum Contributor

Post by DSL » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:18 pm

Run 10k on treadmill, then 60 mins toning class. Feeling svelt. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Unfortunately next week's target is 12k. :headbang:

anglefire
Site Admin

Post by anglefire » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Not so much today - but that last few days (Well mostly evening)

Dropped the sump off the new Spitfire engine, checked the bearings (I.e removed the caps) which were fine (not the best available, but fine) replaced the bolts with new (No real need, but for £20 might as well)

Checked the end float on the crank - found it to be about 12thou - limits are 4-8thou - so took them out. They rotate around the crank so no need to remove the crank for access - which is a double edged sword because if they wear out, they drop out and then knackers the crank :roll:

Found they had been fitted the wrong way around anyway - steel backing towards the rotating crank and not towards the block :shock:

So as I wasn't 100% sure of the size to get, got std, +5though and +1-thou ones - the idea to put standard on the opposite side to the side that gets the wear through pressing the clutch, and the thicker side to the clutch side.

I did get the 10thou one in - but then couldn't get a feeler gauge in (down to 2thou) so swapped it for the +5 and that looked ok. But to double check I bought a dial gauge and magnetic stand to double check - and managed to get a repeatable 5thou gap. Which is as near to spot on as I can get without messing about with glass blocks and emery paper! And anyway is well in spec.

I then replaced the oil pump with a new one and finally refitted the sump with a new Payne gasket (The best you can get apparently) and some Permatex 80057 Super "300" Form-A-Gasket Sealant - again highly recommended by those that know these things.

Span the engine around to have a look at the top and removed the thermostat - found it a bit rusty and an 88'C one - which is cold climate rated and in theory should be a 82'C one for the UK.

So, I've now got on ordr, new water pump, new thermostat, new bolts to go with them, new clutch, clutch aligning tool (Yes in the old days a bit of dowel did the job, but for £7 not worth the hassle) and a tee piece adapter so I can fit an oil pressure gauge.

Toying with the idea of fitting a thermostatically controlled oil cooler - hence the oil pressure gauge to see how it behaves. But they work out at about £200+ for the kit.

Also got to decide whether to replace the radiator too. Triumph reduced the size of it when they built the 1500 - which is odd as it should have been bigger than the 1300 one - which in itself was a little close for comfort.

Larger stainless ones are available for about £100 or so off ebay- which look identical to the ones you can get from the usual suspects.

Oh and the £200 budget for bits? Past that a while back :whistle:

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
Skoda Enyaq IV 80

benp
Green Lane Rep
Winner: Benner of the year
Car Details: D3

Post by benp » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:36 pm

:lol: it was only a tenner off E bay honestly :lol:

more cranes again for me and sitting here typing for a meeting tomorrow ... such fun .... :tumbleweed:

Benner of the year
club dog guard in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out....club the dog is dead but cant change the signature :(
club the D3 is alive!

anglefire
Site Admin

Post by anglefire » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:47 pm

Not had much time for tinkering for a bit - yesterday I went to Leeds to visit a uni with Cassie. Also popped into see some old friends when I lived in Sheffield as a student. They are extending their house - the kitchen is going to 100m2 when finished :shock:

Anyway, bought some more bits including water pump and gaskets and other odds and sods.

So this evening I fitted the new water pump, replaced the water temperature sensor, bit longer than the original by about 5mm but the tip does now sit in the water flow rather than being a bit in the shadow of the casting. Fitted the new thermostat. Adjusted the tappets. Not much else I can do now before it gets fitted. I have bought an old smiths oil pressure gauge off eBay for a tenner including sender and I’ve already bought a tee piece to allow the switch and the sender to operate. But I’ll do that when I actually have the thing. The only thing I could do is remove the wax stat stats and replace with a couple of pennies. Stops the carbs leaning out when it’s hot - and also means it should start hot too 🤔

Aiming to do the swap over Christmas.

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
Skoda Enyaq IV 80

anglefire
Site Admin

Post by anglefire » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:00 am

Got the tax reminder through on the BMW as its due at the end of December - which is the same time as the Disco used to run out - but this year was £150 rather than £500+ - was a much nicer experience! :lol:

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
Skoda Enyaq IV 80

DSL
Forum Contributor

Post by DSL » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:30 am

Going to prepare mine for the slow and blizzards forecast form Caroline up here. Extra bag of wine gums on the shopping list as emergency rats. :mrgreen: